Thread: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Default Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Hi,

I have just moved into retirement and we are looking at buying a catamaran to do some coastal cruising. We currently own a mono (Catalina 320) but both my wife and I feel that, with advancing age, we need to have something a little bit more stable for our cruising aspirations.

Whilst I have a number of requirements for a new boat the two that are non-negotiable are:

1. I want to be able to continue with our weekly club racing and not be back in the fleet. Whilst our Catalina is a cruiser/racer we have done quite well with her over the last few years and I do not want to go backwards with this.
    2. The admirals requirement is that we get a boat with an island bed so we do not have to climb over each other to get to the head (as we do now).

The 1160 looks fast enough to participate in our weekly races but I would like to get the opinion/experience of someone in the forum regarding this.

The Seawind's that I have seen are all 2010+ and have the island bed but I have seen photographs of earlier models that do not appear to have this, so I am assuming that this was introduced in one of the years prior to this. Can anyone tell me when this happened as our budget most likely will not extend to a post 2010 boat?

Thx,

David

Default Re: Purchasing a Seawind 1160

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Hi,

I have just moved into retirement and we are looking at buying a catamaran to do some coastal cruising. We currently own a mono (Catalina 320) but both my wife and I feel that, with advancing age, we need to have something a little bit more stable for our cruising aspirations.

Whilst I have a number of requirements for a new boat the two that are non-negotiable are:

1. I want to be able to continue with our weekly club racing and not be back in the fleet. Whilst our Catalina is a cruiser/racer we have done quite well with her over the last few years and I do not want to go backwards with this.
    2. The admirals requirement is that we get a boat with an island bed so we do not have to climb over each other to get to the head (as we do now).

The 1160 looks fast enough to participate in our weekly races but I would like to get the opinion/experience of someone in the forum regarding this.

The Seawind's that I have seen are all 2010+ and have the island bed but I have seen photographs of earlier models that do not appear to have this, so I am assuming that this was introduced in one of the years prior to this. Can anyone tell me when this happened as our budget most likely will not extend to a post 2010 boat?

Thx,

David
    On the issue of Island Beds all 1160s from number one had an Island berth on the port side

On the issue of performance, an 1160 won the Cruising division of the Hamilton Island race week last year, against bigger Lagoons, and a couple of Catanas amongst others. I raced a 1160 in the Brisbane to Gladstone for a few yesrs and whilst we werent as quick as the CAtana 47 Carbon rig we were only 2 hours behind on a 38 hour race. Smashed it on handicap.

Hi Ozmultis,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have since found out that Seawind offered 3 types of models for the 1160. Model 1 was a "Three Cabin Regular", Model 2 was a "Three cabin Island Bed" and Model 3 was a "Four cabin standard", so it appears it was only the Model 2's that had the island bed.

We may see you at the next Hamilton Island race

Cheers,

David

As far as I recall, there were no Model 1s built and only a couple of Model 3. Almost all the boats were island bed three cabin. in terms of age for example in know boat 20 was an island bed. Raced on it a number of times.