Thread: Replacing outside window covers

Default Replacing outside window covers

Hi All,

The outdoor window coverings for my privilege 435 are basically disintegrating when touched. I need to replace them, but not really sure where to start.

Does anyone have a vendor they recommend? Any tips/tricks/DIY to will keep it on the cheaper end? Are there more favorable materials than others? We want the kind that shades sun coming in and protects the seals around the window, but you can still see out.

Appreciate any insight!

Default Re: Replacing outside window covers

Hi hulagirl4737!

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you based? I had such window coverings made in Malta last summer and was told there are basically a cheaper and a more expensive material available, the more expensive one being produded by Sunbrella. The difference in price was double the cheap one - so for my wrap-around windows on my 11m cat I paid €360 for the Sunbrella.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Hi!

I'm based in NY Harbor. How was the quality difference between the cheap option and the expensive option? Do you remember what the other product was?

Did you do the measurements yourself and send them to the producer? or did you have them do the whole project?

Did you get one larger wrap around cover, or separate for each window?

Hows the visibility though them?

(I can ask a million question!)

I had mine replaced twice, maybe even three times during my eleven years of P435 ownership. Each time I just handed over my existing covers to a local sail maker and said I want a new set of these. If I remember correctly they cost around $1100 last time they were made in Grenada in 2011. Problem is I can't remember if that was $US or $EC!

Ours are textilene I believe, but phifertex is another good alternative. Visibility is ok when dry but not really good enough to keep a good lookout when inside at night - but thats not a problem in the caribbean as we're outside even at night

We have 2 large ones for the front & wrap around windows, and one for each side. We didn't bother about the back ones.

We're now debating whether to stay with a solid (sunbrella) or mesh side covers from the bimini out to the guard rails. We currently have the solid ones but thinking about changing for more ventilation, but not sure if we'll get lots more rain through...

Quote Originally Posted by hulagirl4737 View Post
    Hi!

I'm based in NY Harbor. How was the quality difference between the cheap option and the expensive option? Do you remember what the other product was?

Did you do the measurements yourself and send them to the producer? or did you have them do the whole project?

Did you get one larger wrap around cover, or separate for each window?

Hows the visibility though them?

(I can ask a million question!)
    Hi hulagirl4737,

Sorry, don't remember the cheaper product's name, I relied on the fitter's advice on the product's quality and duration.
    This was a new installation, so the fitter came for the measurements and did a quite good job. I have 8 windows in all to cover on a round cabin structure and it was done in 4 separate sections.
    The view through the screens during the day is good, at night it is impaired. But the heat reduction in the cabin is quite noticable. I wouldn't want to be without them any more.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    We're now debating whether to stay with a solid (sunbrella) or mesh side covers from the bimini out to the guard rails. We currently have the solid ones but thinking about changing for more ventilation, but not sure if we'll get lots more rain through...
    Rick... You will get a lot more rain through. The rear of our cockpit enclosure was made from a similar density mesh and when it rained, even though the surface was nearly vertical and usually facing downwind, we did get a lot of water coming in and soaking the rear cockpit seats. If you use it from the bimini to the guardrails I think all your cockpit seats will get soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
    Rick... You will get a lot more rain through. The rear of our cockpit enclosure was made from a similar density mesh and when it rained, even though the surface was nearly vertical and usually facing downwind, we did get a lot of water coming in and soaking the rear cockpit seats. If you use it from the bimini to the guardrails I think all your cockpit seats will get soaked.
    A friend of mine has the mesh material and an inside clear see-through material which can be dropped and fixed on the inside with Velcro for when it rains or blows.
    Roger

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    A friend of mine has the mesh material and an inside clear see-through material which can be dropped and fixed on the inside with Velcro for when it rains or blows.
    Thanks - something to think about...

Hula girl,

Welcome to the forum.

For the window covers for my 435 I've used two different materials and made them myself both times. If you can use a sewing machine it's not too hard but is time consuming. The first time, I used Textilne 80 solar screen from Arizona sun supply; http://www.arizonasunsupply.com/Textilene-80.html. The material for all windows will cost around $150. I had it on the windows for a few years and it never showed the slightest sign of degradation. You can get all different visibilities and colors but the various different materials are all basically the same stuff.

Recently, when I replaced the Windows, I went with the pet screen cover from Metro screen works out of Colorado. https://www.metroscreenworks.com/sho...x&cPath=88_108.
    I only changed material this time as I wanted a Titanium/silver color.

The front windows, although curved are made from a straight piece of acrylic so when ordering material, you don't need to allow for the curvature as the height remains constant (if that makes sense). On my first test piece, I sewed a piece of Velcro to the material and stuck the other piece on the window. It worked well at first but with the 435 windows facing directly at the sun, the glue just wouldn't hold and became a gluey mess. Whatever you do, don't drill into the Windows themselves. The Windows are acrylic and they expand and contract with the heat. A screw will crack the glass when the acrylic expands.

I sewed a border around the material and made some tabs out of polyester webbing. Nylon will work too but polyester has greater UV resistance. I then used common sense fasteners (from sail rite) to secure them around the window frames. I also sprayed a 2" border around the edge but that was really just for aesthetics. The visibility out of the side windows is good but as the front windows are at such an angle it becomes harder to see, but that's not a big deal for me right now. Let me know if you want some photos and I will post them.