Thread: Night Vision Systems

Default Night Vision Systems

Has anyone ant experience of night visions systems on boats? The type with the screen and fixed camera. I am thinking of having one on the new boat.

Click Here
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

I considered this also for my boat, but discarded it for the following reasons:

- it will not replace radar
    - it will not replace "checking by sight" at night
    - it will add weight and more complexity to the system
    - you will stand the chance watchstanders will get monitor fixated iso actively checking with binoculars

I found it a very impressive system though, and am also waiting for the first live reports from sailors.....

Ron

We used night vision binoculars on Exit Only.

We found the night vision to be particularly helpful in picking up the loom of ships lights on the horizon before they could be seen by the naked eye. This was particularly helpful in areas with heavy traffic or in stormy weather. I remember when we were in New Zealand that a family of four was run down by a Korean ship during bad weather at night, and I have always wondered if they had used night vision binoculars,would they have spotted the ship before going below to brew up a hot drink?

Sometimes I used the night vision to check out cloud formations to see what was heading my way on stormy or cloudy nights. We obviously didn't need it when there was lightning in the sky - then we could see the outlines of the clouds. But at other times, we had a better sense of what was going on around us by checking out the clouds at night with our night vision binoculars.

Sometimes we used night vision binoculars in port for security reasons. If we wondered what was happening somewhere in the harbor or around nearby boats, the night vision was helpful.

Finally, we used our night vision in conjuction with laser pointers. If we wanted to signal another yacht with a discrete small light source, (a laser), we would turn on the night vision binoculars and we could visualize the path of the laser beam all the way to intended target. It made aiming the beam a lot easier, especially for distant targets where the beam was weaker because of attenuation. We could signal another yacht to come up on radio by shining a laser beam across an anchorage and into one of their portholes. A laser beam dancing around inside the main cabin will get anyone's attention.
    Last edited by Maxingout; 20th October 2008 at 02:03 AM.

What generation night vision binoculars are we talking about as the cost rises sharply from Gen 1 to Gen and so on.

Any reccomendations for night vision binoculars?

Alan

We had the ITT Night Mariner binoculars. I don't remember if they were first or second generation. We got them 14 years ago, and they still work fine. I just looked up the price on the web, and they cost about double what we paid for them when we started our cirucmnavigation.

img7673[1].jpg