Thread: Lightning Strike on 2007 Privilege 445

Hybrid View

Default Lightning Strike on 2007 Privilege 445

We did not have a direct lightning strike but did experience an EMC which burnt out one of our 12v relay circuit breaker panels in the port hull and possibly one row of switches in the integrated nav station panel. We put in temporary fuses and switches to satisfy the insurance company and moved the boat to Thunderbolt Marine for repairs. Problem appears an easy fix until we find out the companies making the integrated panels are no longer in business. We have contacted Privilege for suggestions.

The only solution to date is to pull out the relay circuit breaker panels (four 12v and one 220v panels in port side, and two 12v and one 220v panels in the starboard hull), the low amperage ribbon wiring, and the integrated nav station panel and start over. Recommendation is to wire everything like most USA boats with service wires going directly to a new nav station panel with circuit breaker switches. This entails a lot of new wiring from the current relay circuit breaker locations to the nav station. Not our preference.

We are wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue. Suggestions are welcome.

Please comment pro's and con's.

Default Re: Lightning Strike on 2007 Privilege 445

I know someone that had an issue with the relay panel just below the mast on a 495. They tried everything to rebuild it and eventually bit the bullet and replaced it and installed new conventional wiring. They wished had had done this to begin with.

I don't think you'll find replacement boards. I had the same problem a while back and was told the same story about the maker having gone out of business. Local electrician in Sint Maarten just replaced the function with some bits and pieces (I don't understand electrics so can't be more precise!). Fortunately it was only one board behind the control panel at the nav station that went and all the rest worked throughout my 11 years of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
    I don't think you'll find replacement boards. ......................
    I worried about this a couple of years ago when preparing my boat for long term cruising. I asked about replacement boards, and at the time it seemed to be possible to obtain them - maybe they had some old stock at the time. In the end I did not get any as I reckoned that if anything happened, any local electrician would end up having to do a complete re-wire and conventional panel job anyway.
    I'm sure that use of these cut down on a lot of wiring/weight and made construction easier, but little thought seems to have been given to long term life in a salt water environment.
    Nigel Calder is well known for advocating the use of a more modern variant of the privilege system, but I reckon it will still have all the same problems. Furthermore it significantly complicates the addition of more equipment.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

I have Amiot low voltage relay panels on my 1995 P45. I have been in the process of making a circuit board for replacement panels. My big change is that there are relays that disconnect both the positive and negative lines. This will prevent future ground plane pulses from entering the electronic gear. The design is based on this board which is readily available online for <$15.:

Can you post a picture of your board so I can see if it is similar to what I have? This may be of use to you.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.sailtortuguita.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank everyone for your comments. We are waiting on the electrical staff to show us their design for the electrical system. We have time to change things.

djdeakyne,

Thank you for replying. You have some great pictures on your website.

My understanding is that you are buying the relays and attaching them to a board. I assume you are using different amp breakers for the circuits as needed.
    Are you going to use ribbon wire to the nav station?
    Do the breakers have resettable fuses inside them?
    Will be able to use the old panel at the nav station?

Please provide more information on your board and the boards which can be purchased.

Hi, I like the concept of low voltage switching. I have essentially made an interface board between the ribbon cable from the nav station and the $15 relay board in the other post. I have had trouble with the Amiot resettable breakers like overheating and smoking and prefer one shot blade type auto breakers so for circuit protection. So in order not to reinvent the wheel, I use a Blue Sea Fuse Block. that provides power to the loads after they exit the relay board. The idea is to prevent cooking the relay in addition to the wiring just like the original Amiot design does. I also have added a connector so loads can be switched from an external circuit like burglar alarm, daylight sensor, or home control system.

The relay board is available from many places on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-CHANNEL-1...-/262567013745

The idea was to make a drop in replacement for the discontinued Amiot relay board and not have to do any rewiring of the electrical system.

Cheers, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images