Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightning Strike on 2007 Privilege 445

Default Re: Lightning Strike on 2007 Privilege 445

Thanks for the suggestion. Any replacement system will naturally require a whole lot of work, checking, planning and money. In the long run I agree it is probably smart to start looking for a more modern system, but for the near future a replacement board would be a real problem killer.

I am intrigued by this device as a replacement for our relay boards and panels:
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-4ch-pro.html

With 2 of these, you have your 8 channel relay board covered. They are 12 volt, DIN rail mount, have local push button control in case of a LAN failure.
    It looks like the control app has a LAN mode since the cloud is not always there when cruising. With internet, you can control and monitor you boat from anywhere.

I have one on order to see if this is a viable option.

Any thoughts y'all?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting, I will also study this. As time passes, Privilege owners (and maybe others) will have failures and problems with old circuit boards. Maybe wireless is the future, but I am still a bit sceptical to relying on wireless control. There are often issues with networks, as many a modern sailor knows.
    I do not know how much power the LED's and relays of the old system uses. Maybe it is more than a Wifi/LAN unit, but I believe the latter will be drawing power constantly?

A company in Norway said they might be able to repair our circuit board, I will go for that try. If successful, I have bought some time for planning possible future replacements.

There seem to be several issues over using this system as a replacement for the original panel and relay boxes. The units are most probably without splashproofing/IPX spec and made for inhouse and fairly dry conditions. They might not be operating well in salt and dew. The individual channel rating is 10A, not enough for many bilge pumps and other items.Cellphone app control does not appeal to me, it will be too cumbersome. The cellphone can be busy other places on board, be lost or damaged and has to be charged and available at all times. Pushbutton selection will be at the distribution box in some cupboard or other hidden place.A wifi network has to be operating all the time. Which will require a router running all the time I guess. The total power draw of such a system will probably be higher than the Privilege old original setup, as most relays are not powered all the time with the old boards. So, cheap and relatively simple, but not suitable (?)

Thanks for the feedback.
    I bought one of these to give it a look over and it would work but is more of a compromise with what we currently have on the Privilege's.
    Here's a video that I did for the 4 channel board:

https://youtu.be/UuJX8RdKmMc

Here is what I have learned, but first let me respond to your critique above.
    1. IPX rating - Our Amiot (MJA) boards have nothing. A can of spray conformal coating would make a world of difference if the concern is waterproofing. If water can get on your panels, they are probably in the wrong location.
    2. 10A relays - Our Amiot boards have 12A relays. Not significant enough to be a deal breaker. Personally for high load items like pumps, I would control a 20-30A Bosch relay with the 10 amp relay that's on the board. I like a 200% safety margin.
    3. Cellphone - Since they are so cheap, I was thinking about a dedicated phone with the power hardwired and mounted in a black acrylic panel in place of the existing switch panel.
    4. Wifi network - Does not have to be operated all the time or ever. The phone is used in Hotspot mode and the relay board connects to it. Yes, wires would, however, be the best way to go.
    5. Push buttons and location - They are just there to allow manual control just like the little red switches on our Amiot boards.

Anyway, I have rejected the idea of using this device but not for any of the above reasons. The most importantly our Amiot boards provide feedback that lets us know if a fuse or breaker has blown. That's the Red LED next to the pushbutton. Using this type of off the shelf device would still require overcurrent protection. The key is to be able to sense whether there is power at the relay or the business side of the fuse and display that back to the user at the switch panel.

There is no off the shelf device that I have seen that would so this. That for me is the deal breaker.

However, as a proof of concept design, I have been messing around with an interface board that would duplicate all the features and be a drop in replacement for the Amiot board with some improvements.

Here's a video of what I have come up with:

https://youtu.be/kyzc-CgFUZo

What I have discovered is that it will work and can be a drop in replacement but to get it to that point, it requires alot of work. Wires have to be soldered directly to the relay board and there is quite a bit of time involved in making and connecting the wiring harnesses that run between the fuse panel and relay board.

The technical information on this is quite extensive and would be best suited for something like my blog but at least I have proven to myself that it can be done and I learned the pitfalls of such a design. Let me know if anyone wants more info.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the quick answer. I am impressed with the research and testing you have done regarding alternate boards and control panels. A skill level way above the average sailor.

So far however, it seems to me as the 20+ years old Amiot system is the most user friendly system as seen from an operational point of view. I have briefly looked at Czone, but it seems as you will often have to change page on the display to get to the selection you want to make. The original Privilege control panels are big, but all selections are made directly, and I really like that. Czone will also be expensive, as it looks like I would need as many relay boxes as I now have Amiot relay boards. At least if I do not want to stretch new wiring to the components. But then again, I guess high quality stuff from Mastervolt will not be cheap.

Modern displays are fine, but I believe oldfashioned pushbuttons are very practical in use. For example, no sunlight readability or night mode issues or adjustments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12