Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing propeller shaft casings

Default Re: Removing propeller shaft casings

The under water section of my rudder is 70 cm deep and 42 cm wide, so about 1.7:1.
    There is no post. The rudder blade is 3 cm solid plywood and hung on hinges on the transom. It is not completely flat but rounded in front, thickest in the middle and a bit thinner aft. Not much of a profile, though.

Doh! I just went back and looked at the picture posted above by Puck and see these are not balanced spade rudders. So never mind my comments - a 12% section will be fine. I'd make it to match and work with the skeg profile.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

The Catalac comes with different rudder versions. Mine has no skeg and a rudder balanced with some 5 cm in front of the pivot point. I guess that could classify as a balaced spade rudder. From Jans description "No skegs, and the pivot of the rudder should be around 50 mm of the front of the profile." it seams he has a similar construction.
    Please explain more: Why would a 12% section be suitable for a rudder with skeg but not for a balanced spade rudder?

The foil section decision isn't related to whether it is a skeg or spade rudder, but with a skeg, you already have a fixed and constant leading edge, which typically defines the rest of the rudder decision. So there isn't as much to be done with the foil section on a skeg rudder in terms of gaining more lift or increasing stall angle like there is with a spade rudder.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

As I belive I have something similar to a balanced spade rudder, and not a skeg, I wonder if you could share some more of your knowledge about suitable profile for low aspect rudders:

Quote Originally Posted by colemj View Post
    12% is a common foil section for many higher aspect rudders, but it sounds like yours is a low aspect planform. Probably even 1:1 or less, given what Jan has written. For this aspect, a larger section will give more lift and stall much later than a thin one.

Mark
    What would be suitable for a 1,6:1 aspect rudder, and why?

I would think probably something in the 15-20% section range. We just made new rudders with a 1.6:1 AR and I went with a NACA0020 section. They work well, particularly at slower speeds and provide more lift when we have some weather helm upwind due to their increased angle of attack then.

12% will work, but they will stall earlier and not provide as much lift at larger angles of attack.

Attached is a plot of calculated lift and drag coefficients between NACA0012 and 0020 sections on a 1.6:1 AR rudder at 6kts over 1-20* angles of attack. The 12% section starts to stall at ~12*, while the 20% section continues to add lift up to 20*. At 20* of rudder (during a tack), the 20% section provides twice the lift of the 12% section, with less drag.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Thank you, Mark, for this valuable information. As my primary concern* was to reduce drag, but you convinced me that a fatter profile may improve tacking ability, I will go for a compromise, NACA 0015. Hope it works.

Here are the calculation plots for 12, 15, 20 sections.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12