Thread: Trailer Plans for Seawind 24 Trailer?

Default Trailer Plans for Seawind 24 Trailer?

Hi Guys! I just got my 2nd SW 24 and am extremely happy! I brought her back to Florida from Scranton, Pa on a 22 ft aluminum double axle trailer. I lashed 2 4 x 6's to it after removing the powerboat bunks. So here is my question? Has anyone got plans or developed/built the articulating part of the Seawind frailer? I would like to make an expandable cradle that can be removed with the boat on it from the trailer, put back on it, towed to wherever, and then opened up for assembly. My last one rested on a cradle made of 16 ft I beams spanning a trailer , 6 " high and they flexed really bad. It was also not used as a road trailer. Going from 8 to 16 ft beam calls for some serious cantilever. I have already fabbed some shipping beams, so anyone else done this? Most of the original trailers have rotted apart.

Default Re: Trailer Plans for Seawind 24 Trailer?

I don't have plans but fabricated up a trailer based on what I could see on various trailers on the web. I bought a 2 wheel powerboat trailer, converted it to 4 wheels (independent not a bar axle) and build telescoping arms. The arms are square tube 2*2 sliding inside slightly bigger tube, I have double rollers on each outboard end and swaged restraining wires so they only went out as far as they need to. This works but is clumsy and difficult. I made the mistake of leaving the inside end of the telescope tube square and didn't taper the top so it jammed in the tube. The first time I tried this I needed a forklift to help me bring the arms in. The trick is to join the front and back arms with a bar to which you can attach a strop and then pull the arms out together with the car using the tow hitch.
    I'm looking at a way to make the whole thing folding on the water so I can simply float on a collapsed configuration which will be easier. I added hard decks to the back 1/2"false end grain with CF both sides so its always an ordeal for me. If I do a in-the-water fold I'll hinge the hard decks to the center pod and just flip them up. I'm in the Boston area and have had my SW24 for 12 years now.

thanks Alan. I have found a fellow SW24 owner who might still have their trailer from Australia. Hopefully I can get some ideas, thanks

I have a seawind 24 trailer if you are till looking for one. I dont want to sell it but glad to send you photos or video of it.

here is a pic of trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank You! also for the reply to my message. I will send you sketches of the dimensions I could use. I will modify it from a "tube in tube" design to an upside down "U" rolling over a square channel.

Quote Originally Posted by johtie View Post
    here is a pic of trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Bertboat View Post
    Thank You! also for the reply to my message. I will send you sketches of the dimensions I could use. I will modify it from a "tube in tube" design to an upside down "U" rolling over a square channel.
    I have seen an au factory built trailer and the boat seemed to sit a lot higher off the ground. It also carried a lot more rollers approx every foot. I'm in the process of building a trailer and am more concerned with the racking forces when spreading the hulls and retracting them. Has anyone tried some form of mechanical system that extended or retracted 1 side at a time. I am looking at using 5/8" threaded rods pinned to the inner end of the slider and driven (2 rattling guns with 2 operators similtaneously) from the outer end (only 2.5' long rods needed).

Quote Originally Posted by johtie View Post
    here is a pic of trailer
    Could you make life a lot easier for me by supplying the dimensions horizontally and vertically between the rollers. I'm at that stage in the building of my trailer also looking at making the trailer dual purpose .... nice flat floor tent over top good ole aussie camper trailer.
    I have 1 question for the audience Why are the hard the deck supports running cross wise. On the plus side a smaller lighter section can be used but on the other hand 2 or 3 larger T sections run longways would be slightly heavier BUT would offer NO resistance to waves while underway or am I urinating into the wind?