Thread: Another Chris White Atlantic 57 flips

Hybrid View

Default Another Chris White Atlantic 57 flips

Don't know any of the details that matter, nor what the conditions were like - but I don't think there was much bad weather then 400nm North of the DR.

http://www.d17.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2901442/

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Default Re: Another Chris White Atlantic 57 flips

From what I have heard, there was a frontal ridge from just north of the DR stretching quite far north but, winds were shown as around 30kt. It was apparently a delivery and mast likely an inexperienced crew sitting in the warmth of the saloon and the boat over canvassed and all boards ful down. This is now the third CW cat I have heard of going turtle. One was a smaller 44 or 45 on one of the US lakes a time back.
    The Ex-Delivery Guy
    Now retired on land after sailing over 400,000 nautical miles.

It is the second A57 to go over. The other was an A42 on Lake Michigan - which is similar to the ocean, only with worse weather possibilities.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Details on Chris Wright's site

Sounds like a logical explanation. Bad luck for any boat caught in that situation.

From that description, it does sound like the crew was experienced and the boat was not being pushed. In contrast, they had two reefs in the main, two reefs in the small staysail, headed off the wind with the sheets close to luffing. I know all bets are off with something like the proposed tornado, but it still seems like that boat went over too easily. From the sail description, the sails were not set so that a sudden wind from the side could tip them over, and they claim they experienced no sudden increase in forward speed, so it doesn't appear that the boat drove a bow down and tripped them.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com