Thread: 8M rudder connecting bar

Default 8M rudder connecting bar

Hi
    I need a new bar constructing but the boat is 250 miles away and I cannot get there for a month or two. Does anyone have the measurements and bar spec so I can start to get some estimates and then firm up the exact measurements when at the boat. The original bar was galvanised mild steel but I am thinking of unpolished stainless. Not sure about tube wall thickness but possibly box section would do? Any thoughts?

Default Re: 8M rudder connecting bar

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    Hi
    I need a new bar constructing but the boat is 250 miles away and I cannot get there for a month or two. Does anyone have the measurements and bar spec so I can start to get some estimates and then firm up the exact measurements when at the boat. The original bar was galvanised mild steel but I am thinking of unpolished stainless. Not sure about tube wall thickness but possibly box section would do? Any thoughts?
    A few thoughts - admittedly a bit late for you, but may help someone else in the future.

I had to replace the bar on my 9m. The conventional wisdom at the time said that you had to cut a hole in the outer hull to allow the bar to slide across between the hulls. I had a stainless tube constructed that was made in three sections with a thread allowing each section to join the next, and a nut to stop further movement when tightened. This allowed the bar to be inserted without cutting a hole! The tube was thick wall and about one inch diameter.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

Thanks Talbot. I have done it now. My new stainless bar has a cranked section in the middle to accomodate a 20hp outboard and this can just be inserted without recourse to cutting a hole!

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    Thanks Talbot. I have done it now. My new stainless bar has a cranked section in the middle to accomodate a 20hp outboard and this can just be inserted without recourse to cutting a hole!
    Glad it was easier for you. Mine was a pain in the ..................!
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results