Thread: Seawind 24 Rotating Mast Bushing

Default Seawind 24 Rotating Mast Bushing

I need to replace the plastic bushing that you can see in the attached picture on my Seanwind 24. Does anyone have any specs on this bushing or any ideas on what to replace it with? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Seawind 24 Rotating Mast Bushing

First, I am curious, why do you need to replace it? "cause, mine is probably same condition(it is rainy outside, and the mast is up the trailer, I do not want to go there now).
    Obviously, I do not know what could be used as a replacement, but I would check https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...heets/=171w7fd for some sheet plastic. You could cut it with woodworking tools, since the loads on this thingy are not huge.

Nylon is self lubricating and can be machined. PTFE would also work.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Nylon is self lubricating and can be machined. PTFE would also work.
    Be aware that nylon expands and absorbs water. PTFE is expensive but would probably work. My guess would be that it is Delrin, most "plastic" sail gear, balls bearings and the like are made of this.

I am currently refurbishing my mast including the bush. I have turned down a cylinder of nylon. Scaling dimensions from photos I have made the wafer approx 10mm thick and made it wider than the brass wedge by 5mm radially so that water will have to flow uphill on that bearing face and tapered the top shoulder so that water coming from the outside of the mast will not be encouraged to seep into the upper bearing face. Next weeks task is to etch the aluminium bearing face on the mast spanner casting. It was badly eroded and is taking some time to remove the corrosion. (multiple grind-outs followed by oven cleaner, scrub,wash, dry then sulfuric acid, scrub, wash,dry .... test puddle, if it does not puddle evenly then back to grinding.) My only fear is that there may not be enough of the casting left to repair .... such is life.

When this process is complete I will have to learn how to anodize then I can anodize both the machined surfaces on the casting. This should improve the life expectancy of the spanner assembly.

I also only have the stub of a mast spanner.

I do have a couple of questions.

Was my guess of 10mm some where near the original size of the nylon bearing wafer?

How long is the mast spanner (from the bolt rope end of the mast sleeve) ?

My brass cone appears to have concentric depressions, probably to retain grease, Approximately how deep should these rings be? They are approx 5mm wide and 8mm apart.

Confucus came to me in a dream one night and asked my why I own boats. They give me pleasure, I replied. "FOOL" he roared "boat is nothing more than a hole in the ocean that can only be filled by many many buckets of GOLD."

JM