Thread: Stern Scoop Rub Rail

Default Stern Scoop Rub Rail

Does anybody know of a source for the stern scoop rubrail?
    It is 50mm X 20-25mm. It is also the same material used as padding for the dinghy davits.
    Privilege may have this but I do not see it on any pictures of it on the new designs.
    Thanks, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Stern Scoop Rub Rail

Dave... That doesn't look original fitment to me. I replaced the rubrail on my 435 with a similar but not identical product from West Marine.

Hi Mike,
    I had a look as best as I could of 435 scoops and it looks to me like the rub rail is a 3/4 round rubber that protects the corner edge. The '90s vintage has a cutout on those corners that have this rectangular profile rubber strip screwed and caulked in to it. This rub rail is 50mm X 25mm or about 1" X 2". They went through an incredible amount of trouble to cut and notch the aluminum bar that is inserted in the slot which is then used to reinforce the fasteners. The V cutout is then filled with caulk to appear like one piece.

This is the place where the rub rail is seated and bonded. The problem with using common rub rail is thatthey are curved to let water flow off of them. That wouldn't work well here since the cutout has to be filled with something and not just filled with Sika.

A fatter profile extrusion with flat sides could be used which would be fine on the sides but it would hang down below the stern and disrupt the smooth flow of water below the scoop.

Just hoping somebody knew where Privilege got this or what might be available as a replacement. Cheers, Dave

Dave, the stern of my 435 is different to yours so I have absolutely no idea whether this is of any use to you...when I replaced the rub rail on my sugar scoops, I used Taco semi rigid rub rail. When you warm it in water (follow manufacturers instructions), it become sufficiently pliable to conform to the bend of the sugar scoop. Let me know if you want a few photos.

Sorry, wrong photo. I was trying to post a profile of the rub rail.