Thread: Unstepping Mast on my Lagoon 440

Default Unstepping Mast on my Lagoon 440

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group and have a question. I am in the process of unstepping the mast on my 2004 Lagoon 440. To remove and replace a sail track and of course restepping it. The rigger just informed that is may take 3 guys, 5 days, which could cost $10,000, including yard and crane time.

Does that seem right? I was expecting half that, but I am always wrong when guessing these costs. :-O I'd love to hear what others with similar size boats of have spent. My boat is located in Southern CA, which probably does not help the costs.

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Unstepping Mast on my Lagoon 440

Do you need to replace the entire sail track or just a section? I have unstepped our mast and replaced a section of track. It took less than a day. myself, my wife and the crane operator, but he was only part time so 3 people for 5 days sounds extreme. individual crane hire can be expensive, but many yards have their own cranes and charge a lot less.

Now cruising in the SUN! Currently in Rhodes

Last year in Malta I had the yard unstep the mast on my 11m cat and later restep it for which I was charged €375. I can't comment on the labour and material costs regarding the track.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

If you are going to un step for sail track, think about Halyard and Pulley sheath block inspection and or replacement. Also lights and electrical equipment and wiring. All a lot easier to address when stick is on the ground. Have a mate that is dealing with corroded light wire at top of mast on a younger L440 than yours at present. If you are going to the expenses of dropping the mast it's the right time to do a full refurbish on all the mast systems.

Hi, seems extreme, unstepping and restepping probably only takes an hour or so for each process. Some crane companies charge minimum crane hire of 4 hours including driver and one rigger. 4 days full time for 3 folks to remove and replace a sail track also seems extreme. As PaulinOz notes great opportunity to check out the mast fully.....classic case of at least another quote required.