Thread: Catalac 900 Enclosure

Question Catalac 900 Enclosure

I have searched through the Forums and haven't yet found anything addressing this. Please feel free to direct me if I missed something.

My husband and I are purchasing a Catalac 900 and wish to add a cockpit enclosure. We need to do this on a tight budget and are looking for some help in working out how to either purchase one for under 1,000 or build one ourselves. Any advice? Know of any existing schematics for this job? Any experience building an enclosure?

Any constructive advice very welcome. Thanks!

NOTE: I have found instruction videos on YouTube that will likely prove helpful, however, I am still hoping for some Catalac or even Catalac 900 specific advice. Thx!
    Last edited by LifeSavorSam; 20th July 2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added note

Default Re: Catalac 900 Enclosure

Hi & Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations with the new purchase, I hope you will love the catalac...

I am afraid within this budget you will have to do the work yourselves...
    Finding any specifics for the Catalac 900 will not be easy, there are not so many of them around, hopefully somebody will be able to help out...

I have no experience yet... A cockpit enclosure is on my planning but not yet on the priorities list...
    I will be asking the same question in a while about 8M specifics as I will probably build one myself as well...

To make it sound simple it's about designing and installing a frame first and creating patterns on that frame...
    I don't know what youtube videos you have found. There are many of them around, some are very detailed.

I will report back if I run into something useful!
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Galu'Lati Go

Hi djeeke!

Thank you for the kind welcome and your congratulations!

It does seem to be the prevailing wisdom to start frame first. I have several photos of another 900 with the sort of enclosure I want - hopefully that can help us figure out where we should be taking out measurements. The one thing I'm not seeing is how one deals with the traveler and an enclosure.

Hopefully someone in the forum can help inform us both from their own experience! If I come across anything specific to the 8M, I will definitely share here too.

Thank you so much!

Hi

welcom again,

if you are not sail with the enclosure its easy to deal with traveller. Dismount the mainsheet and fix it somewhere else, than you can mount the back pattern to the railing, where the traveller is mounted. I would create a at the end slightly bended frame, which comes about 10 cm to the backstays. The supporting poles on each side I would put above the existing poles of the reling, this opens a window for the mainsheet when sailing
    Cheers peter

Peter, you beat me in replying

You're welcome, sharing knowledge is one of the reasons the forum exists

The traveler...

I see a few options
    - Personally I do not intend to sail with the cockpit enclosure installed, so can manage without worrying too much...
    - you will need access to the traveler when sailing so I suppose the rear panel will not be there anyway... You could remove a portion of the top as well so there is no interference with the mainsheet?
    - Move the traveler up on top of the cockpit enclosure aft (better on a rear arch but that will blow your budget or not even be feasible, I think have a pic somewhere with a traveler up aft but can't locate it right now)
    - Move the traveler up and forward on top of the sprayhood support (see pic below - that's an 8M, I know your setup is different but it gives an idea) But still you would need to work out how to control it from inside the sheltered cockpit...

I am not a fan of having the traveler above my head, I agree it's out of the way but then I don't want to be up there trying to fix it in bad weather (because that's when it will go wrong)

seems like photobucket doe not like me to share my images too much , sorry about that
    Since I can't edit my previous post to replace the image link... I also found it on boatshed for as long as it will stay online:

And that does not seem to work either... Hopefully flickr will keep the image online and accessible...

That's a great-looking spray hood, djeeke! I see what you mean about the traveler up top. However, as my husband and I would like to cruise extensively in the Northern latitudes, we'd like to be able to have the full enclosure up while underway... not quite sure how that would work with the traveler in that position. The good news is that the boat we're buying is equipped with an arch aft, so we'll probably end up with the traveler there.

Thanks for your good advice, djeeke and Peter!

Yes it's a nice hood, I am thinking how I will build mine, several options...
    One thing I dislike is that they cut the jackrail, it is nicely positioned on top of the cabin, with a short tether no way to fall off so better than a jackline on which one can trip...
    It should not be too tough to have a slot in the hood going over it...

Well if you have an arch you could indeed move the mainsheet traveler up there, out of the way of the enclosure...
    You can control the traveler position using extra lines:

Hi

I have a 900 (C-CAT) bought last year. I have looked at have enclosure made - quoted 3000!!! I do have another contact that could make one (or 2!!) much cheaper but needs an original to copy. Am currently looking for owner of 900 that has one I could borrow. Investigating v soon. have yo bought your 900? Where are you based?

Bill

Wow - that looks very smart!!

Quote Originally Posted by njb View Post
    Hi

I have a 900 (C-CAT) bought last year. I have looked at have enclosure made - quoted 3000!!! I do have another contact that could make one (or 2!!) much cheaper but needs an original to copy. Am currently looking for owner of 900 that has one I could borrow. Investigating v soon. have yo bought your 900? Where are you based?

Bill
    Hi Bill!

We have purchased our 900 and are still researching the enclosure. Our boat is lying in SW England, but we'll be moving her to Brighton in the near future. We know of a 900 at Brighton Marina that has the sort of enclosure we'd like (see photo), though we don't have any measurements. I have additional photos I could PM you. Would that help with getting a quote from your contact?
    Samantha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Samantha!

Congratulations! Hope you will be very happy with your 900. The image you sent I believe to be Madelaine of Netley (the name may have changed). Previously owned by my friend, mentor, raconteur and Catalac expert John Green (and his lady wife Madelaine). I was introduced to John by the infamous Capt Terry when looking to buy a 900 myself last year. My boat (C-CAT) is on Hayling (along with another 900 owned by David ? currently on final fit-out having never been in the water - long story!)
    Regarding cover, I am determined to have a cover that would allow shelter while the main is in use. This makes things a bit complicated but I'm sure a design could be made particularly as I don't see the reason to have an over-engineered traveller for the main - it makes very little difference downwind if the main sheet block is centrally located or not! Likely the result would be a bimini with other parts zipped on?
    I would foresee a significant saving in getting 2 made the same - possible I could also get David interested as he will need one. What do you think??
    Would love to see pics of your boat and name and number? I think I have an owners manual I could copy. When are arriving Brighton?

Neill "Bill" Birch. neillbirch@btinternet.com

Thank you so much, Bill!

You are too right - that vessel pictured is Madelaine of Netley! How cool that you recognized her and know her previous owner! We viewed Madelaine earlier this summer before finding the 900 we purchased (Hull #909, currently named Korky the Cat, soon to be changed).

As for the cover, what you describe is exactly what we're looking for, as well. The traveller remains our biggest concern, as we haven't seen an enclosure on a Catalac that appears to allow for that. Interestingly, there is a hard plastic groove on the top aft edge of the doghouse that would seem to be there for a bimini or something similar. I'll try to remember to take a photo of that and post it. We would be very interested in pooling resources with you and other Catalac owners and work with your contact. Thank you for that!

We have set aside time at the end of September/early October for a boat move to Brighton. We're still taking quotes from delivery/movers (as we don't have the experience to do it by ourselves), so we don't know the exact date yet. If you have any recommendations for someone to skipper our boat with us as crew for the move (like a 2-day journey), we're eager for a fiscally reasonable way to get her to Brighton.

That is an incredibly generous offer to copy your Owners Manual - thank you so very much. I imagine that would be a hefty document, so I hesitate to impose upon you. We'll search a bit further for one, and if we find no joy perhaps we can share a few adult beverages with you while hanging out at a copy machine.

Here's a photo of our girl!

Cheers!
    Samantha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Samantha

Sounds like we are looking for same sort of enclosure so will come up with a few ideas! Could possibly help with getting your baby to Brighton - how much experience do you have? -where is she now? Also, I don't rate sailing out of Brighton much - is there a particular reason you have chosen there? I did leave my email address on prev reply - might be easier.

Bill.

Thanks for all the thoughts, pictures and comments.
    I was considering something similar for my 9m, to keep crew from broiling in the cockpit when sailing on hot sunny days. Yet another alternative is mid-boom sheeting but this has several drawbacks.

An 900 owners manual would be something nice to read, even if it doesn't apply to my boat, it could give me some hints and ideas.

@njb: would you consider scanning your owner's manual and posting it here for us all to enjoy ? Tropic Cat might host a copy on his website of all-things-catalac.

Quote Originally Posted by njb View Post
    Hi Samantha

Sounds like we are looking for same sort of enclosure so will come up with a few ideas! Could possibly help with getting your baby to Brighton - how much experience do you have? -where is she now? Also, I don't rate sailing out of Brighton much - is there a particular reason you have chosen there? I did leave my email address on prev reply - might be easier.

Bill.
    Hi Bill

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, just back from an extended weekend away with our baby. I will send you an email to discuss everything.

Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by LifeSavorSam View Post
    Hi Bill

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, just back from an extended weekend away with our baby. I will send you an email to discuss everything.

Samantha
    No problem!

Hi Sam

Just thought I would ask if everything OK as didn't get an email from you?

Hope all well

Bill