Thread: Looking at 50ish foot performance/cruising cat for world cruising.

Default Looking at 50ish foot performance/cruising cat for world cruising.

I'm nearing retirement and am trying to figure out what performance catamaran would work;
    I'd like the largest one a 60 yr old man in fairly good condition can single hand if need be.
    Was hoping to stay under $500K but might inch up for the right boat.
    Missed a Catana 50 at $525K earlier this year but honestly wasn't ready to pull the trigger anyhow.
    Another one that appeals is the Outremer 49 bit may have to add 100K+.
    Catana 471or2's should be withing reach.

I'd like to load it with a scooter and dive compressor and know that adds some weight.

Almost all of my sailing was done 40 years ago but feel confident I can pick it back up.
    I'm an A type "performance" guy and have raced formula cars so something with a little spark is wanted.

Am I going in the right direction ?

Now cruising in the SUN! On my way to Malta.

Default Re: Looking at 50ish foot performance/cruising cat for world cruising.

Have a look at the Freydis cat designed by Eric Lerouge. They are all semi-custom builds and thus come in different sizes and are fast cats. Yachtworld currently have two listed.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Lightguy View Post
    I'm nearing retirement and am trying to figure out what performance catamaran would work;
    I'd like the largest one a 60 yr old man in fairly good condition can single hand if need be.
    Was hoping to stay under $500K but might inch up for the right boat.
    Missed a Catana 50 at $525K earlier this year but honestly wasn't ready to pull the trigger anyhow.
    Another one that appeals is the Outremer 49 bit may have to add 100K+.
    Catana 471or2's should be withing reach.

I'd like to load it with a scooter and dive compressor and know that adds some weight.

Almost all of my sailing was done 40 years ago but feel confident I can pick it back up.
    I'm an A type "performance" guy and have raced formula cars so something with a little spark is wanted.

Am I going in the right direction ?
    Check this one out:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004...s#.WXNEkdPyuAw

Quote Originally Posted by Lightguy View Post
    ?
    Stay under 45'. You can stand a watch on a 50'er alone but single handing regularly will be a challenge. Sure, it can be 'done' but.... should it?

As for performance, it's over rated. If you want things like a scooter and dive compressor, you're using the boat for a moveable RV. You'll also run the engines frequently. Sail when it's on the beam and 'fun'. Performance sailing? Buy a tri, say a Dragonfly 35, but that's different. Do you want to go 'camping' in a Porshe? or a pickup with a camper on the back or a 5th wheel? or a motorhome? Performance--- unless you are truly an avid sailor, don't go for it. (since you haven't done it for 40 years, I wouldn't call that being an 'avid sailor', no disrespect intended)

This might be a contender. 2009 Ocean Cat 49... looks like a Lerouge design. Light weight, good waterline, 24 foot beam, shallow draft, 2 king sized berths ... quick before I buy it! $495us.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009...9#.WbRK-ch9600

Attached Images Attached Images

there is a 2013 neel 45 trimaran for sale in nz for about that price ,sailed from France, seems fully equipped and would sail really well.

Where are you located, & how much are you willing to travel in order to find a boat? And you do know that with that kind of budget you could have a nice custom or semi-custom 40'-45' boat built, right? Which would allow you to specify most of the performance features that you desire, as well as to set her up to your liking for living onboard. The other option is to buy a used boat in a similar size range, & have her refitted to your tastes, assuming she meets your sailing requirements.

One other key thing worth noting is that on a multi, especially one that large, when singlehanded or shorthanded, you'll only be sailing her at or near the upper reaches of her performance levels on day sails/sails of less than about 12hrs. As you can't push a boat when you're not on deck, & leaving her fully powered up while asleep is madness.

That said, here's one candidate http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ue-179703.html