Thread: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Default Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Hope this of interest

Managed to finish the Round the Island Race 2017 in my 900. Not quick!! About 14 hrs! Good fun - always comfortable on a Catalac!

When I entered, I contacted The Island sailing club as I had a query about which Class I would be competing in. They informed it would be under 9.15 Bridgedeck Cat. BUT, they also said there was a trophy for the first Catalac over the line! The Bipusseia Cup - first awarded in 1975 and named after the first Boat to win it I think? (owned by Felix Waley and Eric Lowe?).

Because I was the only Catalac in the 2017 - and managed to finish before 10pm (actually about 8pm) I was awarded the cup (when they eventually found it! - it hadn't been awarded since 2002 - to Scubacat- a many times winner)

Anyway, I'm not bragging about it all - although very pleased to win it but obviously would be a far better achievement if I had had someone to race against!!

Anyone likely to enter for 2018??? I am throwing down the gauntlet (or whatever sailing equivalent is!!) It is a lovely trophy - silver - about 14" tall - will try and post a pic.

Lots of history from prev winners as engraved on the cup inc. T. Lack. M. Lack. B.M.Lack

Happy to provide any more info

Bill

Cool Re: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Hi Neill,
    Surely interesting !!!

Love your cv on roundtheisland.org.uk:
    Energetic type who lacks the killer instinct
    Any pics please ??? Race and/or Cup ???
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Galu'Lati Go

Default Re: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Thanks djeeke!

Will sort out photos and send

Would be obliged if you would spread the word about Catalacs competing in 2018 - would be great to get a few of out there

Well done - look forward to seeing the pictures

Hi Bill
    Have just seen your post about the Bipusseia cup, it bought back some memories as i won this cup in 1984 on the 8mt i had at the time named Catamillar
    great day sailing flat calm start finishing with gusts of force 6,
    we even managed to beat the Lacs (bruce i think ) who was in a 9mt.
    Have recently bought a 10mt Catalac and am getting it ready for a long cruise next year as for doing it again, with all the gear on board i would probably be going backwards.

Barry