Thread: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Default Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Hope this of interest

Managed to finish the Round the Island Race 2017 in my 900. Not quick!! About 14 hrs! Good fun - always comfortable on a Catalac!

When I entered, I contacted The Island sailing club as I had a query about which Class I would be competing in. They informed it would be under 9.15 Bridgedeck Cat. BUT, they also said there was a trophy for the first Catalac over the line! The Bipusseia Cup - first awarded in 1975 and named after the first Boat to win it I think? (owned by Felix Waley and Eric Lowe?).

Because I was the only Catalac in the 2017 - and managed to finish before 10pm (actually about 8pm) I was awarded the cup (when they eventually found it! - it hadn't been awarded since 2002 - to Scubacat- a many times winner)

Anyway, I'm not bragging about it all - although very pleased to win it but obviously would be a far better achievement if I had had someone to race against!!

Anyone likely to enter for 2018??? I am throwing down the gauntlet (or whatever sailing equivalent is!!) It is a lovely trophy - silver - about 14" tall - will try and post a pic.

Lots of history from prev winners as engraved on the cup inc. T. Lack. M. Lack. B.M.Lack

Happy to provide any more info

Bill

Cool Re: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Hi Neill,
    Surely interesting !!!

Love your cv on roundtheisland.org.uk:
    Energetic type who lacks the killer instinct
    Any pics please ??? Race and/or Cup ???
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

Default Re: Round the island - Bipusseia Cup

Thanks djeeke!

Will sort out photos and send

Would be obliged if you would spread the word about Catalacs competing in 2018 - would be great to get a few of out there

Well done - look forward to seeing the pictures

Hi Bill
    Have just seen your post about the Bipusseia cup, it bought back some memories as i won this cup in 1984 on the 8mt i had at the time named Catamillar
    great day sailing flat calm start finishing with gusts of force 6,
    we even managed to beat the Lacs (bruce i think ) who was in a 9mt.
    Have recently bought a 10mt Catalac and am getting it ready for a long cruise next year as for doing it again, with all the gear on board i would probably be going backwards.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by nomads cat View Post
    Hi Bill
    Have just seen your post about the Bipusseia cup, it bought back some memories as i won this cup in 1984 on the 8mt i had at the time named Catamillar
    great day sailing flat calm start finishing with gusts of force 6,
    we even managed to beat the Lacs (bruce i think ) who was in a 9mt.
    Have recently bought a 10mt Catalac and am getting it ready for a long cruise next year as for doing it again, with all the gear on board i would probably be going backwards.

Barry
    Hi Barry

Not sure I replied to this - sorry
    Obviously not many 10m about - where are you? And where are you heading???

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by njb View Post
    Hi Barry

Not sure I replied to this - sorry
    Obviously not many 10m about - where are you? And where are you heading???

Bill
    Hi Bill
    no you hadn't replied, the boat is at mercury yacht harbour on the hamble i would like to head west for the summer and get somewhere warm for the winter,
    Im retired so I've all the time i need.

regards Barry

Quote Originally Posted by nomads cat View Post
    Hi Bill
    no you hadn't replied, the boat is at mercury yacht harbour on the hamble i would like to head west for the summer and get somewhere warm for the winter,
    Im retired so I've all the time i need.

regards Barry

Hi Barry

Good luck - if you are are still about in the summer please let me know as trying to organise a meet up with others

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by njb View Post
    Hope this of interest

Managed to finish the Round the Island Race 2017 in my 900. Not quick!! About 14 hrs! Good fun - always comfortable on a Catalac!

When I entered, I contacted The Island sailing club as I had a query about which Class I would be competing in. They informed it would be under 9.15 Bridgedeck Cat. BUT, they also said there was a trophy for the first Catalac over the line! The Bipusseia Cup - first awarded in 1975 and named after the first Boat to win it I think? (owned by Felix Waley and Eric Lowe?).

Because I was the only Catalac in the 2017 - and managed to finish before 10pm (actually about 8pm) I was awarded the cup (when they eventually found it! - it hadn't been awarded since 2002 - to Scubacat- a many times winner)

Anyway, I'm not bragging about it all - although very pleased to win it but obviously would be a far better achievement if I had had someone to race against!!

Anyone likely to enter for 2018??? I am throwing down the gauntlet (or whatever sailing equivalent is!!) It is a lovely trophy - silver - about 14" tall - will try and post a pic.

Lots of history from prev winners as engraved on the cup inc. T. Lack. M. Lack. B.M.Lack

Happy to provide any more info

Bill
    Bill,
    I saw a mention on the facebook page and recalled I had a log in for this forum- but had not visited for ages..
    I currently own Scubacat , and am also Hon Sec of the CCA (ex Bobcat and Catalac Cruising Association)
    I had thought the "RTI cup" was the "Mary Lack Cup", which I have here !.. It was awarded (according to the engravings!) from 1977 to 1998 (Lastly to Steve Lymn who had Scubacat at the time!)
    After that I believe Gareth Jones took on Scubacat and had excellent RTI results..
    (Scubacat is a bit unique among Calalac 8's as she has plastic windows to reduce weight! Also I believe Steve and Gareth took EVERYTHING off before the RTI's !) )

I raced Starlight ( a Hiorondell) in the 2001 against her and had to retire when the Genoa halliard broke off Bembridge (the main had split at the first reef on the way to the Needles, so I was not going that well anyway !
    Looking at the RTI site, I see they refer to the cup as the "Catalac Trophy"
    The Mary Lack cup is a bit worse for wear, and could do with a good re-plating!.

I have often thought about the RTI again, but have not entered since!

Thanks for the memories!

Dagnall