Thread: Is Seawind 1160 or 1250 a good choice for blue water sailing for a couple?

Default Is Seawind 1160 or 1250 a good choice for blue water sailing for a couple?

We are in the process of choosing a catamaran. It will be just for me and my husband. I really like the layout of Seawind 1160 and 1260, however our broker told us that these are not "sea worthy" boats for what we plan to do. We live in San Francisco area and would like to sail to south pacific and then to New Zealand and then who knows. The specific concerns they have raised are 1) not enough weight, 2) the following sea may cause damage to the folding door and water into the saloon, 3) the boat is overall not "strong" enough for blue water sailing. We would welcome any comment or suggestion, especially based on first hand experience. Thanks so much.

Default Re: Is Seawind 1160 or 1250 a good choice for blue water sailing for a couple?

I met a couple of Australians and went aboard their Seawind 1250 in the San Blas Islands off Panama. They were two thirds of the way through a circumnavigation that started in Australia. Seems no one told them Seawinds couldn't cross oceans.

Brokers in the USA probably won't have many Seawinds available to sell which may affect their opinions :-)
    Last edited by Jeannius; 8th August 2017 at 08:05 AM.

Default Re: Is Seawind 1160 or 1250 a good choice for blue water sailing for a couple?

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know if they encountered any "heavy weather" so far? And if so how did the Seawind 1250 perform? Any issue with the 1250 during their circumnavigation so far? Thanks so much, Nan

Have you guys had sailing experience and or "blue water" sailing?
    Have you had experience with cruising cats?
    I ask because when so called sailors disparage some multihull because of
    weight of vessel they are confusing weight with strength. It is a fact that light
    and properly constructed vessel, autos, aircraft or rocketships are ibetter light.
    An overweight cat can't
    perform as well as a lighter vessel unless it has larger
    sails and heavier rigging. As with an auto it a weigh to power ratio.
    I personally would get a broker who knows what he talking about.

The broker is talking nonsense. First of all, lighter is better when it comes to cats. That said, the strength of the Seawind is very impressive. We own a new 1160 Lite and the feedback I've received from every captain who has sailed on her is what a solid boat she is. We had the great pleasure of hosting Richard Ward, designer of the boat and president of Seawind during the Miami boat show. He shared a story with several guests during the show about how, with hull #1, they lifted the rear sugar scoop up with a fork lift 6" and measured the lift of the bow - it too was 6". In other words, they are incredibly solid boats. Search for some of the videos on You tube and you will see a boat that is capable of handling the rough conditions around Australian waters. As far as the rear tri-fold door, they are solid and when closed there is no risk of water ingress into the boat. I know I'm biased, but we shopped long and hard for several years and no boat made more sense nor seemed more solidly built in this size cat than the Seawind.

One final point - our boat CE Rating in category "A" is 18 people. I know that there is a lot of debate about the value of the CE ratings, but the "A" classification is I believe ability to handle 10M seas and Force 10 winds and the # is how many people can be on board safely in those conditions. Talking to the company and other owners prior to buying, we also could not find a single case of a Seawind being demasted or other significant issues in rough weather.

To be honest your broker doesn't know what he's talking about. A light catamaran encounters less stress than a heavy catamaran because they ride on top of the water rather than through the water, and they can get by with a smaller sail plan as they are lighter and more nimble. We have owned 2 Seawind 1000's and they are incredibly strong and also have a fantastic motion through the water. Seems as if quite a few builders are also trying to copy their cockpit open to salon layout. If I could afford it I would definitely own another Seawind.

Thanks so much for all the comments. I find it very useful. We only have charted bare boats in the past and only charted a 38 feet cat once in Seychelles. So our experience is definitely limited with respect to sailing a cat.

Maybe I should clarify the weight concern. I think our broker was saying that if the boat is "light", then after it is loaded with stuff, it will impair the performance of the boat. For example, if the boat is 15000 LB and if we put on 5000LB weight for cruising, then that is 30% of the boat weight, which in his mind it is not so good. On a different note, I am glad that you mentioned the "fantastic motion through the water". They did mention that the deck clearance is not so great for Seawind so we may encounter unpleasant motion. They did tell us that they don't have much experience sailing the Seawind so it is all "theoretical speculation" on their part based on their vast amount of experience dealing with other cats. This is why I want to check in with people that have real experience in sailing Seawind in blue water, especially in heavy weather. So far it seems all feed backs are pretty positive. Anyone had or heard any complain or issue re Seawind 1160 or 1250? Thanks so much in advance. Nan

Looking in my 1160 Lite owner's manual, the factory states that the maximum load for CE Category A "Ocean" is 1450 Kg (or 3197 lbs) and Category D "Sheltered" is 2300 Kg (5070 lbs). Deck clearance is 2' 3". Our skipper who brought the boat up from Miami to Annapolis said there was only one slap that was noticeable for the entire trip north.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I think our broker was saying that if the boat is "light", then after it is loaded with stuff, it will impair the performance of the boat. For example, if the boat is 15000 LB and if we put on 5000LB weight for cruising, then that is 30% of the boat weight, which in his mind it is not so good.
    It is actually the opposite of that. Light boats can carry more payload weight. Same for rockets, trucks, and anything else. In the above example, if the boat was 10,000lbs, then it would take 10,000lbs additional weight to bring it to the same loading as the 15,000lb boat (assuming identical boat designs).

This is why you don't see steel catamarans and why the fastest ones are carbon fiber with cored interiors.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Your broker is a fool. The Seawind 1250 prototype was tested with passages across the Tasman sea, and IIRC across Bass strait. They're well built and strong boats.

Friends of ours sailed theirs with us across the coral sea in winds 35-48 knots sustained for 4 days. We left several allegedly "seaworthy" monohulls hundreds of miles behind. The cat crews stayed dry and comfortable while the mono crews suffered.

That is so nice to hear and exactly the information I am looking for. BTW, what was the direction of the wind at 35-48 knots? Very impressive regardless. Thanks!

The wind was from about 80 degrees true.