Thread: Raising main sail - 2012 400

Default Raising main sail - 2012 400

I'm finding it difficult to raise and lower the main. It takes all my effort on the winch to raise the sail and it needs a pull on the luff to get the last 1/3 down.
    Is this normal?
    2012 lagoon 400

Default Re: Raising main sail - 2012 400

There could be a build up of salt in the batten cars. You might try hosing them with fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    There could be a build up of salt in the batten cars. You might try hosing them with fresh water.
    Check also the halyard run. If it is loose when dropping the sail then suspect batten cars. If not check the sheaves, rope clutches and the condition of the halyard, polyester lines tend to become thicker and stiffer with age.

It shouldn't be that hard. You may want to take a trip up the mast to be sure that the halyard is still on the sheaves and that the sheaves can turn freely. It is possible for the bearings to wear on the shaft and cause friction. While up there you can fiddle with the halyard to make sure there is no friction inside the mast. On the way down you can spray the track with silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
    It shouldn't be that hard. You may want to take a trip up the mast to be sure that the halyard is still on the sheaves and that the sheaves can turn freely. It is possible for the bearings to wear on the shaft and cause friction. While up there you can fiddle with the halyard to make sure there is no friction inside the mast. On the way down you can spray the track with silicone.
    Silicon attracts dirt. Use dry Teflon spray instead.

And don't forget to shower the ball bearing on the batcars. We had tons of dirt in them due to the PO using WD-40 on everything he could reach.