Thread: Hey - I rescued a trimaran today!

Now cruising in the SUN! On my way to Malta.

Default Hey - I rescued a trimaran today!

This afternoon a French 13m trimaran at anchorage here in Pedi Bay on Symi Island, Greece broke its anchorage and started drifting towards rocks - I had been aboard that morning for a coffee with the owner. With the help of another French sailor I went aboard - boat locked and main electric switch turned off! The owner was sightseeing in Symi Town.

We were able to alert some Greek boats and after four attempts over 2.5 hours we managed to secure her for the night. Minimal damage was effected to the boat - in one of the tows away from the rocks the 40 kgs anchor, which was down and could not be raised as the electrics were turned off, caught and the 10mm chain snapped.

It was a close call - she was 10m from the rocks twice! I was the only one aboard and started thinking about where I should go if she hits the rocks and the mast came down!

A yachtman's day can be exciting!

Ciao
    Roger
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Default Re: Hey - I rescued a trimaran today!

Sounds like the worst nightmare for the missing owner but he was lucky you were there!

Bloody hell, well done Roger - and the other helpers. Was the weather bad?

Snapping a 10mm chain must have been impressive.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Now cruising in the SUN! On my way to Malta.

Hi Mike,

We had a W5 gusting W6 blowing down the hill at the time. Enough to move this alloy tri weighing 10T at an impressive speed!

Ciao
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns