Thread: Proa WHY NOT, completed!

Default Proa WHY NOT, completed!

Hi all, just before we throw him into the drink and see what he thinks about the sea........
    here are 2 clips, that should be 1. just have some editing problems at the moment......
    Anyway, details, details....

https://youtu.be/YS7BnUh9q6s

and here is what got cut off...... 2nd episode, the Dagger board.

https://youtu.be/Ux9xr-kXRcw

All d best
    Rael.

Default Re: Proa WHY NOT, completed!

Well done. You have got there. Looks great.

I hope you will get some nice shots of just how she sails and tacks. I have the general idea I think. But how do you swap the rudder from one side to the other at the same time as the sail shunts to and fro? It is probably all quite obvious and simple in practice.

Happy sailing to you both and on to Greece

Cheers.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Default Re: Proa WHY NOT, completed!

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Well done. You have got there. Looks great.

I hope you will get some nice shots of just how she sails and tacks. I have the general idea I think. But how do you swap the rudder from one side to the other at the same time as the sail shunts to and fro? It is probably all quite obvious and simple in practice.

Happy sailing to you both and on to Greece

Cheers.

Mike
    Thanx Mike. just got home from the Black sea..... 3 days of testing in 10 knot winds.
    He's a good boy, to windward once I got the hang of it we were doing under 50 degrees compass, so pretty decent.
    He is swift and seems pretty fast, you just feel this is a multihull.

Shunting, easier then it sounds.....
    The oar can be pulled through the oar lock and dumped on deck. So no need to mess with it during the shunt, just shunt.

1. Bear away to a beam reach, just ease the sheet and pull on that oar, he turns on a dime.....
    2. Pull oar through oar lock till blade reaches the oarlock, let it go and it lays down on deck with the blade high above the water.
    3. Release the endless line (that's holding his tack to the bow). Pull it out out of the cam cleat.
    4. Grab that yard and push it to the new bow (takes about a second).
    5. Before you can say Robinson Crusoe his new bow heads up wind and he sails off on a close reach,or beam reach depends on wind strength....
    6. Once he's sailing, you can crack open a can of beer and just move that oar over......

Once you do it a few times things get smoother easier and faster.
    It just sounds hard, but it "aint".......

Sailing clips to come, shunting clips too.....

Take care Mike.
    all d best,
    Rael.