Thread: Breaking Docking Lines

Now cruising in the SUN! On my way to Malta.

Default Breaking Docking Lines

I am currently with " Burnout " in Kapsali harbour on the Greek island of Kythera, sheltering from a front passing through with northerly winds 35 kts+. The harbour is open to the south, but a swell has worked itself in.

I came back from lunch to find that one of my 8 docking lines had snapped! This despite all my docking lines having the biggest mooring dampers Forsheda produces on them. The line itself which snapped was a 20mm polyester line.

It'samazing which forces a swell can put on a lightweight catamaran! But all is well again !

Happy sailing and and docking!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Default Re: Breaking Docking Lines

Rodger, out of interest, where did the line break? At the dock cleat, from chaff on the dock or from a toe rail or at the deck cleat? Or just at an area where there was no chaff?

John
    The Ex-Delivery Guy
    Now retired on land after sailing over 400,000 nautical miles.

Hi John,

the line broke where it exited the rubber mooring damper which itself was swinging between the quay and the boat. It broke on the damper's side closer to the boat. There was no chafe involved unless it was within the mooring damper but it is too late to check now, the frayed rope has been dumped.
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Thanks for that! I presume that you were using one of the rubber wrap-around dampers and not one of the stainless spring ones.

John
    The Ex-Delivery Guy

John, I am using the Forsheda wrap-around rubber dampers size 4 which is the biggest one they produced. Having tried various brands I have made best experience with the Forsheda ones and can only recommend their use for comfort on board.
    Roger

------------------

Roger, those are, I think, the ones that have a sort of nylon insert at each end, sort of built into the rubber section. This is if my memory serves me correctly, but may be thinking of another similar product. If it is the one I am thinking of, I was looking after a large 53' cat (about 28 metric tons) a few years ago in Cape Town, where we often during the winter get NW gales into the harbour and in summer a SE katabatic wind off the mountain, which comes screaming through the harbour at 50 to 60 knots. I had them chafe the dock lines and then the dock lines fail where they zig-zag through the end "eye". Other than that, they can make life quite comfortable. I did then add extra lines as a back-up if the winds picked up again and broke the lines with the dampers again. I think they are quite a good idea, except the zig-zag locking or gripping ends. People now appear to use locally made ones that have no zig-zag mechanism, just a loop at each end to feed the line through, which appear to work well and do not chafe the dock line.
    John
    The Ex-Delivery Guy

I am impressed that you had 8 docking lines !

Actually 11 useable ones -'you will find that heavy cruising cats often have many extra lines that would not be normally found on ones in the Med of Caribbean. John.
    The Ex-Delivery Guy

Perhaps you meant to say nylon not polyester. Nylon is preferred for docklines as it better absorbs shock loads. Stronger, lighter, cheaper, too.

So the real question is how long was the line that you parted? A short line from the dock to the deck as a bow or stern line that goes almost straight up to the cleat is always likely to be the first to be 'challenged'. When you want to hold the boat 'in' to the dock your breast lines should go from the offshore hull to the dock. Spring lines should be a minimum of 10-15' long. Actually all of your lines should be 15' or longer from boat cleat to dock... Shock absorbers won't do the job by themselves.