Thread: Suliere In New Zealand

Default Suliere In New Zealand

We arrived in New Zealand which at last offers us decent wifi.
    The first thing we did was get the rudder alignment issue fixed - it had plagued us for a year but is now, at last fixed.
    However our new SD60 sail drive that had already failed in its first year failed again with both water in the oil and failing to engage clutch.
    The Yanmar chap here is currently dealing with three other SD60 boats with the same issue!! So it seems we are back with continuous Yanmar problems and never not escaped them even after changing from SD40 to SD60.

The first time we were lifted to cure the issue was in Grenada when I had the pleasure of entering the lift on one engine only to repeat it in New Zealand - I have never entered a lift with my new SD60's with two engines!

Our best experience across the Pacific was swimming with a humpback whale and its pup. At one point the pup headed right for us and as we tried to swim away the huge mother came gently in between us to protect the pup and shepherd it away.... so gentle, a magic moment on on video.

Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Suliere In New Zealand

Well done getting there. I hope that overall it was a good trip even if there were hassles on the way.

Cheers.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Mike
    Yes, we had many experiences along the way and as always have continued making the TV series.
    However we now yearn for home and so are returning to the UK for Xmas whilst Suliere is brought up to scratch.
    There is a time when sandy beaches, snorkelling and palm trees can just get too much :-)
    We intend to video in New Zealand for the next two years before continuing the trip.
    They are really great people here and it is a fine country.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

We're in Opua now, though Paul has hauled out further south.

The diving in Minerva was incredible, and we had a pretty good passage down to New Zealand. Absolutely loved the pacific, shouldn't have spent two seasons in the caribbean!

Congrats Paul on getting to this part of the world. real shame about the SD60's thanks to folks on the Forum I went with Volvo's due to the sail leg issue.....let us know when you get to Brissy.

Glad to hear you are in NZ. You will regret spending 2 years in NZ as there are so many other places still to visit in the Pacific, we spent 6 years there and are heading back that way again, cruising the rest of the world doesn't come close.

With regards to saildrives. They are all useless...... Our Lombardini's were replaced under warranty after continual seal replacement in some cases they were lasting only hours before leaking. The new ones didn't solve the problem. So much so that we even considered replacing them with Volvo or Yanmar but the same problems exist. We battled with them for many years and became adept sucking out oil and water from the top, to do on the fly oil changes and have replaced seals on beaches all over the world.

My theory is this. Sail Drives seem to perform quite well without leakage problems on mono's. On a mono the sail drive is deep in the water so the water pressure maintains the seal. On cats they seem to be much more problematic. I believe the reason for this is that the lip seals are not designed for low equal pressures. On a cat the oil lever in the drive and the sea level are roughly the same no differential pressure to maintain the seal. They also experience rapid changes +/- in pressure because they tend to be at the stern and are subject to far more pitching than on a mono where they are much more centrally located.

They have now been completely rebuilt and our solution was to modify the fillers and attach vented header tanks. It is now sufficient to fill the drives just to the top of the casing (80mm above normal level), the header tanks and associated pipe simply contains the expanded oil as the drives warm up but maintains a constant pressure on the seals. Since doing this it has actually managed to go a whole oil change period of 250 hours without leaking. I could actually come to love them.

I know of numerous other cases where cruisers used vary grades of oil, have drilled air vents in sealed filler caps (Volvo) to no avail and where header tanks have been successful (Yanmar) Google, Hacking family, Ocelot has a long blog entry.

The manufacturers are not interested in solving the problem and builders won't change because the are easy to install and they just refer claims back to the manufacturers. Amel have a proprietary leg similar to a saildrive that they do "not" have problems with, because the buck stops with them. Their shafts have 3 seals, 2 on the sea water side and 1 on the oil side, so it is possible to fix it but it ain't going to happen.

So as always you are on your own.