Thread: Sailing Conclusions, proa WHY NOT?

Default Sailing Conclusions, proa WHY NOT?

Hi all, well was a good week sailing in Greece,
    Very late in the season and a bit chilly, but someones gotta do it.......

Bottom line.....
    Finally I know what I want!
    Check it out, conclusions of micro cruising sea trials, Small boat, Small car and small tent on a very small budget.........

https://youtu.be/FcMA73EpxSI

All d best
    rael.

Default Re: Sailing Conclusions, proa WHY NOT?

Very well done. Fascinating too. I was hoping to see you dealing with slightly larger waves too but maybe that was silly bearing in mind that you were on a short micro-cruiser. The shunt was interesting too, both in its simplicity and what was involved. In rough conditions it would be difficult!

Your reservations seem very sensible. Presumably there are other people who have found the same and have worked out some solutions. I look forward to your next installments.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Very well done. Fascinating too. I was hoping to see you dealing with slightly larger waves too but maybe that was silly bearing in mind that you were on a short micro-cruiser. The shunt was interesting too, both in its simplicity and what was involved. In rough conditions it would be difficult!

Your reservations seem very sensible. Presumably there are other people who have found the same and have worked out some solutions. I look forward to your next installments.

Cheers

Mike
    Yea I too wanted a bit more wind and a few more waves.... Next time.....
    As for the shunt, yea, will be more complicated in rough conditions. No argument, still compared to some other shunters WHY NOT? is pretty simple. Actually the biggest problem with shunting is the oar, not the sail. Walking the leepod in a lumpy sea is not the safest thing to do, but growing up on surfboards does simplify it to a great extent....

I guess the best way of putting it Mike, would be a process, a learning process where your mistakes are your teachers and each one has it's place and time....
    U stop, it's over! You know it, we all do...

I have learned so much, that there's no stopping now.
    We re rig!

All d best, and thanx, these comments lean a lot to me.
    Rael

Just a thought, if you moved the base of the mast inboard, to windward so to speak, and then have it slope to leeward, you would have room to get round it, you could vary the slope to get the sail pulling as you wish. I don't see why the mast has to be upright.

Also, you could have two much shorter oars, each mounted in a sleeve, so that you could just lift the handle of the oar, slide it down into the water and steer. Then when shunting just pull it up and lay it on the 'deck'. Then pick up the other handle, slide it down and steer the other way.

Any use? I doubt it, but it is just my penny worth.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Just a thought, if you moved the base of the mast inboard, to windward so to speak, and then have it slope to leeward, you would have room to get round it, you could vary the slope to get the sail pulling as you wish. I don't see why the mast has to be upright.

Also, you could have two much shorter oars, each mounted in a sleeve, so that you could just lift the handle of the oar, slide it down into the water and steer. Then when shunting just pull it up and lay it on the 'deck'. Then pick up the other handle, slide it down and steer the other way.

Any use? I doubt it, but it is just my penny worth.

Mike

Well, here goes.....

Mast stepped between the hulls will add serious compression loads to the akas. mine aren't designed to withstand such loads. It's one of the greatest advantages of pacific proas by the way. They are the only multies that can claim almost zero aka compression. Resulting in a stronger but lighter vessel.

Many proas have masts stepped between the hulls (closer to the vaka but not on it) in order to do away with the back winding compression strut. It's the only thing that holds up the mast in the case of getting caught aback, and is a pain in the arse when shunting.... By the way Why Not? originally had his mast stepped between the hulls and he was fine without the strut, But with his new light weight akas, I wouldn't want mast compression on them too.....

The problem isn't mast position, it's the rigging. I have a forestay and a backstay, they form a triangle ahead of the mast and another behind it. Now imagine your light wind sail that has spars longer then the boat...... Imagine moving it through the rigging from leeward to windward to stow it on deck somewhere near the ama! Now take the smaller one move it through the rigging to lee rig a halyard, 2 brailing lines, main sheets, now go the bow and connect your endless line the the tack...... It's just too much. I have done it many times on the beach till the penny dropped and it became crystal clear that on the water this is a hand full.

Solution, A modern single reefable sail, high aspect ratio, rigged in a crazy way so it can still work as a shunter..... I got a solid idea that I'm tweaking at the moment, and I hope soon to start building the model.....
    By the way Mike, my mast is canted to lee, it's stepped on the windward gunnel but goes to an imaginary line that goes from bow to bow, that way my yard is perfectly vertical from tack to head

Oars for steering, I never wanted such a system, but then I never wanted lifting rudders ether..... Interesting, thanks for making me really think about the options. If you hit something with lifting rudders, you got a problem!! Oars? No problem.

All d best,
    Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards.
    Rael.

Thank-you.

Mike