Thread: Anchor Bridle attachment points

Default Anchor Bridle attachment points

Greetings CAPT's.

I have been using a bridal on my anchor chain for some time and I simply tie the bitter ends off at the bow cleats. On a previous catamaran I owned, I had D-rings on the cross beam which the bridle was spliced to. Does anyone have attachment points on the hull or cross beam for the anchor bridal. I'd like to make this modification before I head out cruising next year.

Thank you,
    CAPT Luke
    1995 P-45

Default Re: Anchor Bridle attachment points

The 435 had eyes welded on to the cross beam.

I deploy my anchor at the main beam through an opening in the trampoline and connect the bridle to the rode with a rolling hitch, the bridle is spliced to the prodder water-stays and remains permanently attached with the anchor cable end tied at the opening when sailing. As the water-stay attachments have been designed to take the load of the code zero the anchor loading is minimal, it has the additional benefit of routing the bridle below everything and dropping the anchor cable lower making it safer from being picked up by another boat.

Cheers,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Luke View Post
    Does anyone have attachment points on the hull or cross beam for the anchor bridal.
    I had these attachment points made up by Rollformers of Texas. They are made from electropolished stainless steel and cost me $450. They are bolted through the hull on either side of a reinforcement bulkhead inside the bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Luke View Post
    Greetings CAPT's.

I have been using a bridal on my anchor chain for some time and I simply tie the bitter ends off at the bow cleats. On a previous catamaran I owned, I had D-rings on the cross beam which the bridle was spliced to. Does anyone have attachment points on the hull or cross beam for the anchor bridal. I'd like to make this modification before I head out cruising next year.

Thank you,
    CAPT Luke
    1995 P-45
    A permanent bridal is only OK if you always anchor. There are many occasions where you have to take a mooring. Picking it up on one bow and using a longer line from the other is usually the easiest and can't be done with a fixed bridal. Having the bridal attached low down to water stay eyes is fine but, for long passages the ends will become very mucky. Simply having cleats on the inside of the bow allows easy change over from anchor bridal to mooring lines and for easy adjustment, it also allows for longer shore lines when tied along side with large tidal range. I dislike the arrangement where there is a central cleat and fairleads on either side of the bow as this will cause chafe.

There is also a lot to be said for storing bridal and mooring lines in a locker when not being used as it increases their longevity by keeping them out of the sun.

I fitted quick release shackles to my bowsprit water-stays so that it can be raised when bridal interferes in wind against tide situations.

Peter