Thread: Good Service

Default Good Service

Something good to report about a marine company.

My main DSC VHF is Standard Horizon and I have used a SH DSC portable to do position reporting, possible MOB (main to portable) and anchor watch (portable to main) for many years.

Due to wear and tear I replaced the portable with the latest SH offering and to my horror it would not position report, made DSC calls OK but not position reporting. I contacted SH (Yaesu) and they identified the problem as a change in DSC protocols. These were introduced by some regulatory committee that had suddenly decided that position reporting should categorised as "safety" it was previously unclassified. They offered to re-flash the radio. I dropped into their offices and they re-flashed it while I waited 10 mins, no charge. Great service.

I learnt at the same time that new SH radios no longer have to be returned to "Dealer" to change the MMSI number. Apparently the legislation requires "Dealer Intervention" to change the MMSI. Some sensible individual suggested that this could be achieved by the introduction of a pass-code system. The change MMSI menu generates a pass-code that the user sends to the "Dealer" and they return a single use return code enabling the input of a new MMSI, thus achieving "Dealer Intervention".

Excellent

It would be nice to see a similar system introduced for AIS transponders. I have come across several incidents recently when boats have been sold and re-flagged rendering the AIS technically illegal or making the new owner send units around the globe to get them reprogrammed.

Peter

Default Re: Good Service

Interesting. We use position reporting all the time on our portable. Can you clarify the problem - do all new portable radios not work with older radios for position reporting? Was there something unique in your combination? In other words, if we got a new portable, will we need to have the firmware changed to have it work with our main radio or other portable?

If so, this seems like a big snafu going forward for everyone.

Mark
    Mark Cole
    Manta 40 "Reach"
    www.svreach.com

Default Re: Good Service

Quote Originally Posted by colemj View Post
    Interesting. We use position reporting all the time on our portable. Can you clarify the problem - do all new portable radios not work with older radios for position reporting? Was there something unique in your combination? In other words, if we got a new portable, will we need to have the firmware changed to have it work with our main radio or other portable?

If so, this seems like a big snafu going forward for everyone.

Mark
    Answer, maybe, probably, possibly.

The consequences of a world run by committees.

It was explained to me that a new protocol for position reporting was introduced by said committee and this was "set" in the new radio and in the old radios it was not.

My understanding - The older radios expect a DSC "routine" call and the new ones were sending a DSC "safety" call and visa versa. The result is that the radios just sits there.

I therefore suggest that you test any new radio in combination with any existing sets before heading out to sea.

Peter