Thread: Assessing prices for older catamarans

Default Assessing prices for older catamarans

Hi there

I am looking to buy a cruising catamaran that offers space for a family of four but should allow for a bit more ambitious sailing and ideally come with daggerboards. I hope to be able to spend less than 100K Euro. Ideally the boat should be somewhere in the Mediterranean, but East Atlantic, North Sea, Baltic would be ok, too.

Now I have been looking at adds on the web here and there and see boats on market for quite a long time. And I have seen the asking prices of some boats drop by 20% at once. I (first-time buyer) find that a bit irritating and am wondering how to get a feel for what the fair price of a boat is - ie I do not want to be the idiot buying for 100K when the next day the boat would have been offered for 80K. I wonder how to go about it. Does it make sense to contact a broker close to where the boat and ask him to have a look and/or negotiate on my behalf? Or get an expertise from a nearby surveyor as a starting point?

Concretely I was considering for instance a Catana 39 for 85K Euro close to Rome or a self-built 35ft boat in Preveza, Greece, for 69K Euro. Would you know anybody in the respective corners of the Med that could help me figure if I these are fairly priced?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Assessing prices for older catamarans

Don't think I've ever seen any Catana for as low a price as that. Has to be worth looking at but expect lots of work to be required.

A fair price is what the vendor will accept and what you are willing to pay.
    We paid full asking price for ours because we new we would not get a better one
    for the price. We were both happy
    If it sounds cheap then expect more work and offer a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    we new we would not get a better one
    for the price.
    That's where my difficulty is, sort of. How to know there is not a better one for the price. Apparently there is exactly one Catana 39 for sale and it is sort of difficult to compare it with other boats of the same age I feel. Does everybody feel like they simply know how much they should pay without any expert advice - as I was suggesting above, say, from a local broker or a surveyor - before making an offer? Is that such a crazy suggestion to make?

A surveyor would likely look at a boat for you without doing a full survey and offer a price guide.
    This of course will cost you. You will not want to keep doing this!
    You need to look at as many boats as possible to get a feel for what you want and what the market is offering.
    I spent a long time looking so had a good idea of price and what I was willing to pay.
    Brokers normally sell boats so will try for the highest price.

Sure, I understand any professional will work only for a price. But flying back and forth to the Med visiting boats is not for free either and time is a scarce resource, too. So if you say surveyors might do this kind of job, that might be the way forward for me. If anybody has a name in the Rome region to suggest, I am all ears!

My old work used to sell company cars by tender. A friend wanted to buy one but was stressing about how much to offer. I suggested he offer a price he'd be happy to pay for that car. If it's the winning bid you're happy, if not then someone wanted it more.

IMO it's pointless beating yourself up over whether you could have got the boat cheaper, if you're satisfied with what you bought for the money.

Saw that cat......i am sure you can buy one for the price you'll need to fix it.

I agree with 44c.

Decide what it's worth to you, then aim to get it for near that price. Fretting about "what if's" is a waste of time. I've often paid more than "market" value for something that was conveniently located, the right colour, or I just had a good feeling about it. Unless you're trying to make a buck on the sale later, just figure out what it's worth to you, and go for it. It's the only one for sale right now, so comparably speaking, it's a steal.

Cheers.
    Paul.