Thread: HELP ! Solaris 42 sail plan.

Default HELP ! Solaris 42 sail plan.

Can anyone provide us with a sail plan / diagram for a 1975 Solaris 12 m ketch ? Or point us in the direction to find one. Dimensions for the low aspect ratio genoa would be a start.
    Many thanks
    G&T

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Default Re: HELP ! Solaris 42 sail plan.

Sorry G&T, I don’t have them for a 42 although I suspect that most sailmakers should have the dimensions on their data bank as a number of 42’s were built. When we ordered a new main a few years ago, the sailmaker visited our boat and took measurements. He slightly increased roach over the original plan, made possible by going to full battens, but still allowing for clearance from the backstays. In addition, of course, most online sailmakers show how to take measurements.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
    Sorry G&T, I donít have them for a 42 although I suspect that most sailmakers should have the dimensions on their data bank as a number of 42ís were built. When we ordered a new main a few years ago, the sailmaker visited our boat and took measurements. He slightly increased roach over the original plan, made possible by going to full battens, but still allowing for clearance from the backstays. In addition, of course, most online sailmakers show how to take measurements.

Brad
    Thanks Brad. I am trying to source used sails so I feel a bit cheeky asking a sailmaker for the measurements. The main and mizzen are fairly straightforward but the Genoa is a bit more complicated because of the height of the tack & the coachroof.

'Estrella del Sur' is currently on the hard in Fort Pierce, Florida for hurricane season.

Why not send a pm to eribrucet, who has done extensive upgrades to his 42? If you have the original sails, why not just get someone to help you stretch them out and measure them? If not, use the instructions for measuring on most sailmakers sites. In essence, get the J by measuring from headstay to mast (and you can vary the overlap), measure the forestay with the halyard and the h with the halyard. You may have to guess a bit at the exact height of the clew, but if you are looking for used sails, you aren’t going to get an exact fit anyway. You could also have a used sail modified ro raise the clew.

Brad