Thread: Catalac 8m range on engines

Default Catalac 8m range on engines

Hello all,

I've just bought a 8m and planning on getting it back to my local marina. It's got twin Yanmar 1 GM10 engines - can anyone estimate the amount of diesel it'll use per 100 miles? Mainly want to work out my safety margin.

Thank you,

Linus

Default Re: Catalac 8m range on engines

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question. Need more info such as from where to where and when? 100 nm motoring in the Med in mid summer is a lot different from 100 nm bash around the UK in January. If you are downwind and with the current you'll use almost nothing. If you are going upwind and against the current you'll use a lot.

Don't have personal experience of your boat but until someone comes along who does, here's a link to the Yanmar manual that details the fuel consumption curve for your engine. The graph you want is on page 2... http://www.promot.ch/fileadmin/media...r_kompl._f.pdf .

If I was you I'd be buying a few 20 litre plastic jerry cans so you've got a nice big quantity of fuel sitting there readily available.
    Last edited by Jeannius; 20th January 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Default Re: Catalac 8m range on engines

Thanks - that gives me something to start, as working on 2.5l/hour at full power allows me to work with a travel time estimate - and yes, I will have some spare in a can or two too!

Linus