Thread: Really confused after the Miami boat show

Default Really confused after the Miami boat show

We are in the market for a 38-44 sailing cat and trying to take in the knowledge and advice of others. Were going from motorcoach lifestyle to our dream of sailing mainly in the coastal and Caribbean waters. My husband has gotten his certifications but definitely still has a lot to learn and were experienced boaters on a cruiser. Having said wed like input from experienced sailors as their thoughts and why of which cats to take into consideration. We would like to find a later model used that has been well cared for by a private owner. Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Really confused after the Miami boat show

The boat show can be confusing. It's easy to be confused by interior designs and by what's popular to look at. What you can't know is how well a boat sails and for that you have to rely on others. I would never buy a new boat again and would recommend you charter a number of boats, if you can. The better sailors you become the more you'll appreciate performance sailing. Look for a compromise, you pay more for performance. I really never liked working on boats but I've owned a few. Do you like working on boats? The successful boat owners enjoy fidgeting as much as they love sailing, or love them in equal measure. If you don't love doing your own work it can be expensive, even if you can afford it. A good option is to charter everywhere you think you want to sail and see how you feel about it.

Boat show brokers sell boats. I listened to a Phil Berman (Multihull Company) video the other day and he recommended taking your time in selling, and I would do the same when buying. I would not buy from a broker who sells just one brand of boat unless you absolutely have considered all the options and want that brand, and still other brokers may give better service. Single brand brokers represent the manufacturer.

As for brands, it's as with most items, they are mostly similar within a price range and the live aboard features are what make the difference to the owner.

It is confusing and don't buy until it makes complete sense to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigsdofly View Post
    We are in the market for a 38-44 sailing cat and trying to take in the knowledge and advice of others. Were going from motorcoach lifestyle to our dream of sailing mainly in the coastal and Caribbean waters. My husband has gotten his certifications but definitely still has a lot to learn and were experienced boaters on a cruiser. Having said wed like input from experienced sailors as their thoughts and why of which cats to take into consideration. We would like to find a later model used that has been well cared for by a private owner. Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Really confused after the Miami boat show

We are in the same boat (no pun intended). We went to the Miami boat show this year (our 3rd time) and we’re very disappointed. They ahead so few catamarans. We have narrowed our search down, and then did a charter on one of our top choices (Catana) and discovered quickly a performance cat was not for us. We hated the poor visibility from the helm, the lack of ventilation in the berths and little storage and counter space in the galley. Top of our list now is the Knysna, but there are very few used ones on the market and we have yet to sail one. We have a few “no go” options, such as a flybridge and a berth where I have to climb over my husband to get out of bed. Listing those features has also helped us narrow our search.