Thread: Steering cable and roller chain on 435, 445 46, 49.5

Default Steering cable and roller chain on 435, 445 46, 49.5

For the boats with the GOIOT - BULKHEAD STEERER 100.

We are on a 445 would like to carry an extra steering roller chain and cable but have been unable to correctly identify the one on the boat. The current roller chain appears to have a 5/8" (.625) pitch and a 3/8" (.375) roller diameter. The cable and chain may be stainless? Our owner's manual does not get into this detail.

Has anyone replaced and/or can verify our measurements?

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Default Re: Steering cable and roller chain on 435, 445 46, 49.5

I consider your question as very interesting. Could you possibly post pictures?

Did not take any pictures when helm was apart. Took these looking up into the helm from above fuel tank.

Attached Images Attached Images

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Thanks for the pictures. I now understand better what you mean.

As for the chain I have not yet made a access to mine thus don't know what are the dimensions.

I am also preparing for a very long voyage but don't consider the carry an extra chain for the steering wheel with me.

Cable - I can measure the thickness of the cable in the engine room where I have access to the cable and other parts of turning the rudders. I am on P435.

As for stainless steel I always would use marine grade of stainless steel (European type: V4A or only 4A steel) for the chain and the cable.

It should be possible to get a suitable cable anywhere in marine supply shop. The only little problem I can imagine is that there might not be a perfect match to the original European (=metric) diameter of the cable.