Thread: 8m Engine Upgrade

Default 8m Engine Upgrade

Hi,

I've now got a Catalac 8m with twin 10hp Yanmar (shafts). I've found in some conditions I struggle to manage more than about 2 knots (on engine alone). If I wished to upgrade the engines to a 20hp pair, is there a suitable engine that others have chosen before?

Linus

Default Re: 8m Engine Upgrade

Not specifically Catalac related but I know a couple of people who've replaced Yanmars and Volvos with Beta Marine. They do a 20hp but as it's 3 cylinder it might be physically a bit big. They have a 16hp that is 2 cylinder so might be a better bet. http://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio-item/beta-16/

How concerned should I be about extra weight?

Quote Originally Posted by uklinus View Post
    Hi,

I've now got a Catalac 8m with twin 10hp Yanmar (shafts). I've found in some conditions I struggle to manage more than about 2 knots (on engine alone). If I wished to upgrade the engines to a 20hp pair, is there a suitable engine that others have chosen before?

Linus
    Are you happy with the propellers? I'd check on sizing and pitch of those first, a lot cheaper than an engine change(s). Chances are if you change the engines you will also need to change the props.

Quote Originally Posted by uklinus View Post
    I've now got a Catalac 8m with twin 10hp Yanmar (shafts). I've found in some conditions I struggle to manage more than about 2 knots (on engine alone).
    Linus
    Hi Linus, I suppose that is 2 knots SOG, what currents/headwind are you fighting against?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Are you happy with the propellers? I'd check on sizing and pitch of those first, a lot cheaper than an engine change(s). Chances are if you change the engines you will also need to change the props.
    I second that, 2 twin Yanmar (in good condition) should be sufficient for the 8M. Props are very, very important so indeed you will need to check if they are the right size/pitch for the 8M (can't help, have an outboard, installed new by the previous owner, also in need of a better prop but this is common on outboards if they are not 'high thrust' versions)...

I suppose you have a clean hull (not fouled heavily I mean)...
    Any idea how heavy you are loaded now? Full cruising gear? As yes, weight impacts performance, especially aft...
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Galu'Lati Go