Thread: Sagging Decks,etc.??

Default Sagging Decks,etc.??

I looked at an older Gemini 3000 a month ago and there were two places up on the bow area that had previously had standing water. the areas were soft and I could see that there was a depressed place were water had accumulated due to the deck being low in that area....about the size of a large bath towel.....one on the port side and one on the starb side....
    Also the deck was springy around some of the hatches and up by the mast.....Also the entire cockpit floor was springy to my weight (170#)....
    The back cargo /gas tank compartment had an inspection cover in the bottom of it that led to the starboard hull....there was a hole in it and there was about a foot of water in the starb. hull....maybe the compartment leaked and it was rain water....dont know....
    Also, on both the starboard and port walkways (between the gunwales and the cabin)...there were two small humps about 6 ft apart....it appeared that the decks had sagged down and were sitting hard on the internal bulkheads and something was pushing up on the fiberglass making a small hump.
    Whatever it was ....it was solid because when I tapped on it ...it was a very bright and had a solid sound....so I think it was a bulkhead.....
    Question....
    Could I get some of you to give me your thoughts on the practicality of fixing all of that ....
    I can do just about anything but only have this year to work on the boat
    I can work on it every day.
    Do those humps present a real prob...?
    I dont believe that any of the compartments in the stern are dry.....should they be?
    The standing rigging was good.
    The engine is relatively new.
    The rudders are good...
    Havent seen the bottom but I looked at what was out of the water and it looked good...
    Dont know about the dagger boards
    Owner has given me a price that is very inexpensive.

Default Re: Sagging Decks,etc.??

It all sounds doable if you are good at fibreglass work. However, I would definitely get a surveyor to check the whole boat for you. That way you can confirm and evaluate what you have found and find out if there are more surprises hidden elsewhere.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Default Re: Sagging Decks,etc.??

I hear you ...but I've been looking at boats for 5 months now and have taken 3 trips to Florida alone....from Louisiana it;s about $300 round trip not counting places to sleep.....takes me 2 days to drive it.....
    I;ve paid for two surveys and the guys were OK....but they didnt go up the mast....they didnt start the engine......they really didnt know more than I did......
    at $15 per foot.....I;m kinda down on surveyors.....but I hear ya....
    I;m sure I;ll get push back from surveyors that read this.....no disrespect......

BTW.....does anyone know how to get into the supposed Gemini Yahoo group or something......I cant find out how to access it.....I talked to a guy in Placida, Florida that suggested that to me....but cant find out how to get in to it....
    Anyone?