Thread: Synthetic rigging?

Default Synthetic rigging?

Hello, any Privilege owners that have changed any parts of their rigging to synthetic instead of stainless steel? Or know of someone who has? Maybe someone has references to materials, techniques, experience, suppliers and so on? I find this subject interesting mostly because rope seems easier to change and repair than swaged wires, and it would be easier to carry spares.

Default Re: Synthetic rigging?

Have a look at http://www.colligomarine.com/ if you haven't already done so.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Thanks, looks interesting, I will look it through.

Colligomarine does of course have info about how to do it, and how it will nicely work in theory. Practical life may give additional challenges, and that is why it would be nice to hear about it if somebody has changed to synthetic standing rigging. Maybe not so probable, as the Privilege yachts are sturdy cruisers, and most owners will not tend to think outside ss wire.

I can se a slight problem with chafe from the mainsail battens. At least on the 37, the main (top) shrouds are attached far back on the hulls, and also fairly high on the mast. Thus the mainsail has (relatively to other cats i know) little travel sideways before one batten rests towards the shroud. With a synthetic shroud i believe that should be watched closely.

I also have some plastic tubing around the lower parts of the shrouds. These tubes have many chafe marks from the tweaking of gennaker/spinnaker sheets and mainsail preventer. Also a bit worrying regarding synthetic shrouds.

But you could use the same type of plastic tube to protect the shrouds from chafe.

I have plastic tube on my shrouds almost all the way to the top to prevent the shrouds from chafing the sail. The same tubing would also protect the shrouds if they were synthetic.

Also, correctly sized for stretch, synthetic rigging will be 2-3 times as strong as stainless steel, so even if it was chafed half way through, you're still in no real danger.

Yes, even though I have never seen that wide tubes, I also think plastic tubes will help in the same way. (Looking into it initially, it seems I would need 13 and 15mm dux for the shrouds). Guess finding some kind of protection tubing will not be the hardest part of such a project.

If I had synthetic rigging, I would not like to see much chafe. Such lines are expensive too, and if they must be changed more frequently, much of the advantage is lost. On the other hand again, being able to change the rigging myself would be great.