Thread: Reefing genua and jib sail

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Default Reefing genua and jib sail

I used to sail monohulls for many years even in very rough seas in the pacific.

Now I am sailing for the second season my pre-owned P435.

I like the additional 22m2 jib sail, which can be hoisted at the cutter stay. When tacking, it let's the genoa glide over to the downwind side easily and I got so far the feeling I can run a bit higher into the wind.

When I look at the reefing table provided by Privilege for my boat, it does not mention reefing of the jib sail in combination with the genoa. It contains only information on the genoa alone.

Currently I use simple mathematics and add genoa size and the jib size and look into the reefing table of only the genoa. eg max genoa (only) is 50m2 than I use a genoa of 28m2 and the jib which has 22m2.

What is your experience in sailing and reefing the additional jib sail?

Default Re: Reefing genua and jib sail

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The only sail Privilege sold to attach to the inner stay on a 435 was a storm jib. This was very small, heavy material and bright orange in colour. If your looks different from that then it isn't an original Privilege supplied sail. It was intended to be used, as the name implies, during a storm and after all other sails had been taken down. You seem to have found another use for it in easing the passage of the genoa over the stay while tacking. Wish I'd thought of that!

I did buy the storm jib when my boat was built but it was stolen before I ever got the chance to try it.
    Last edited by Jeannius; 9th July 2018 at 08:21 AM.

@Jeannius,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a storm jib as well. Not orange but white made by Doyle/Raudaschl and the size appears to be 6m2, which is the size of the Privilege storm jib.
    I understand the usage of this storm jib very well. My questions targets to the 22m2 jib which was on board when I got the boat.

If there is need to tack the genoa without the 22m2 jib - for no points and even up to 2 points reefing - it is very difficult to tack the genoa without furling it in first.
    Reason is the larger part of the genoa is between the cutter stay and the mast, thus will not fly over to the new lee side just be wind.

How do other sailor tack the genoa without a jib?

As for the 22m2 jib sail I am no curious what other replies are coming in.

On our P37 I think they call the inner stay a babystay. Maybe because it is a smaller boat . Cutterstay or babystay, it makes tacking much less elegant and causes more speed loss in the process. We have tried a few remedies, some more efficient than others.

I do use plastic cover on the babystay to make it a bit more slippery. Have also tried some larger plastic tubes, but this prevented the hookup of a storm jib. The plastic tube on an 8mm babystay just accurately accepts the hooks. Roller wheels on the babystay was not a good solution either.

After sailing the boat for many years, I only last year spottet a great improvement on a sistership. They had fitted a line from the forward mast over to the babystay, about 2 meters + up the mast.
    My version is a fairly strong rubber elastic line. I fitted an eye on the mast and mounted a hook at each end of the elastic line. This way I can easily remove it before fitting an inner jib.
    I guess this does not guide the genoa across as well as an inner sail. But having an inner sail permanently rigged is impractical to us. The rubber line helps a lot I believe, and we tack quite easily.

Some have also suggested a removable inner stay as a solution, but I find also this impractical. As far as I can understand, the babystay is an important support for the mast, especially when sailing in strong winds with a reefed mainsail.

The P37 is nowadays a fairly small catamaran, and I find the storm sail is not improving performance when used in conjunction with the genoa. Maybe it is a different story with a larger boat that can carry a normal sail on the inner stay.
    Last edited by Lucky Strike; 9th July 2018 at 05:53 PM.

@Lucky Strike

Thanks for your explanations. They sound very interesting.

I wonder if you could possibly publish an image of the system you installed.

This could be possibility if - for what reason soever - only the genoa will be used.

I would not call it a system . A very simple piece of elastic. The ideal position will depend on the boat. A rope would do too, but I find it easier to remove the hooks when elastic is used. Again, too weak elastic will not give enough support to the sail. Obviously, this solution supports only a part our genoa, but it is enough to help a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

@Lucky Strike

Thanks a lot for the picture. I will try to see how I can apply it at my boat. Looking at the picture I got an additional idea.

Once I know how it works on my boat, I will make an update here.

This is an interesting thread....thanks. I just looked up the difference between a babystay and an inner forestay. This is what I found..There seems to be some confusion between a babystay and an inner forestay. (I have both). The inner forestay attaches on the foredeck behind the forestay. This is for attaching storm sails or secondary headsails when running. The babystay is attached just in front of the mast and is part of the rigging and is not meant to have sails flown from it !

I've just learnt something new!

The only thing that I've tried so far is to haul on the Genoa lazy sheet once the boat starts to tack. I get the clew to the inner forestay and leave it there, not bothering to try to get it over any further. As the boat comes around to the wind, the sail will fill and come over to where it belongs even if much of it is folded on the wrong side of the inner stay. I like the idea of the plastic tube, it might help get the clew around the stay before the tack is over.

I learned something too then. It is a bit difficult to differentiate. I always called ours a babystay, but the boat is delivered with a halyard beneath it.

Privilege yachts do not seem very agile in tacking. Partly due to inner forestays. Myself I like to delay the release of the genoa sheet just until it starts filling with the new vind (backwinding). With the help of the described line, the sail does not fall so easily behind the forestay. This way we get a little help to turn as the speed decreases. And when the sheet is released, the genoa flies pretty surely and easily over the forestay. This requires 2 coordinated crew members.