Thread: Knox Anchor for 8M

Default Knox Anchor for 8M

I have just replaced my two venerable 16kg Delta anchors with a Fortress FX11 that fits nicely in the moulded recess and a Knox 13kg that fits ever so well over the bow chain slot. I know that new generation anchors can be difficult to fit nicely on bow rollers so I thought I would share this. I am impressed with the quality and workmanship of the Knox but have not had the chance try try it out in testing conditions.

Default Re: Knox Anchor for 8M

I haven't even heard of a Knox anchor. Any further information would be welcome.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

The Knox is made in Scotland, has the highest spec for stiffness/strength particularly the shank, has a concave shape similar to Rocna, Spade etc but has a split scoop to give better penetration. To my mind this should give the excellent penetration of the Fortress married with the good re-setting of the Rocna etc. There are not so many about but those who have used speak well of it. No independent test data is available yet so perhaps a leap of faith compared to the better known NG Anchors. They also do a 13kg which seemed optimum for my little cat! See knoxanchors.com

Thanks.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    The Knox is made in Scotland, has the highest spec for stiffness/strength particularly the shank, has a concave shape similar to Rocna, Spade etc but has a split scoop to give better penetration. To my mind this should give the excellent penetration of the Fortress married with the good re-setting of the Rocna etc. There are not so many about but those who have used speak well of it. No independent test data is available yet so perhaps a leap of faith compared to the better known NG Anchors. They also do a 13kg which seemed optimum for my little cat! See knoxanchors.com
    Interesting, I have not seen these before.

I have recently been in an area where the harbour is foul and many people get their anchors stuck. The recommendation to use a trip line appeared to be more trouble than it was worth as nearly all those using them managed to trip their anchors by mistake or had other boats trip them when they swung (crowded anchorage). The tide also resulted in anchor buoys wandering all over the place.

In fact a friend without a trip line got his spade anchor stuck and we recovered it by dropping a loop of chain down, letting the strain off and then hauling on the line attached to the loop. Easy.

It did get me thinking however about anchors with hoops or "roll bars", Knox, Rocna, Bugel, Manson etc. Such a design would make this method of tripping recovery using a chain loop almost impossible as the purchase point would not be far enough down the shank because of the hoop.

Anyone care to comment further?

I have used the same method of recovery on a Rocna for someone who had hooked an underwater obstruction. It worked without any problem. Maybe we were lucky.

Mike

knoxanchors.com is not operational, out of business?
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

Knox website working ok for me now. The slot in the blade arguably will give better penetration on hard sand. Used it a few times and seems to set very quickly but not in serious conditions yet_ I am not in any rush!

OK my bad, you are right, it needs to be "www. knoxanchors.com"... not just "knoxanchors.com", sending them a message as this is an internet beginners mistake an easily fixed ;-)
    Good to read you like the anchor, nobody should be in a rush to test an anchor in "serious conditions' !
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/