Thread: 3 blade prop upgrade on 2014 leopard 44 ??

Default 3 blade prop upgrade on 2014 leopard 44 ??

Has anyone out there switched from the stock 2 blade prop to a 3 blade on a leopard 44? I have a 2014 leopard 44 that currently has the stock 2 blade props and it feels a little weak. I would like to obtain more thrust than what I currently experience without damaging the engines or saildrives.. I am aware that I may lose a little speed while sailing but am fine with that. I am more concerned with being able to better push upwind through 15-20 it headwinds with substantial chop as this is a typical condition that I will be dealing with in my local waters.
    I am looking for info about anyone else’s experience, prop size and pitch , success, failure,etc. I know that prop choice is a very specific endeavor and shouldn’t be done without proper knowledge.
    I have two Yanmar 3JH5E , 39hp engines with SD 60 saildrives.
    Anyone out there that can lead me in the right direction?
    Thaks.

Default Re: 3 blade prop upgrade on 2014 leopard 44 ??

I repropped our Leopard 40 (29 hp volvos) with 3 bladed flexo fold props. Original were 16x11 2 bladed factory props. Flexofold ran the numbers and suggested 3x16x11 props which I bought. Happy so far. Better speed under sail, about the same motoring, slightly degraded backup performance on port engine for some reason. In retrospect, they said a 12 pitch was also an option, but I went with 11s to ensure no engine damage. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback gbillman. How long have you been running the new props? I’m thinking about a fixed blade and am hoping someone out there has any more info on the subject. We will be using the boat often under power and upwind and need the thrust and maneuverability more than sailing speed. It would be nice to have it all but ....

I misquoted my original 2 blade prop pitch. It was 13, not 11. I went from a 2 blade, 16x13 to a 3 blade 16x11.

, ok thanks.

BTW...I have decided to re-power my L40. Replacing factory Volvo D1-30s for Beta30s and Beta saildrives. Since I was disappointed with Flexofold performance, I am going to use fixed 3 blade 16x11 props. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Has anyone out there switched from the stock 2 blade prop to a 3 blade on a leopard 44? I have a 2014 leopard 44 that currently has the stock 2 blade props and it feels a little weak. I would like to obtain more thrust than what I currently experience without damaging the engines or saildrives.. I am aware that I may lose a little speed while sailing but am fine with that. I am more concerned with being able to better push upwind through 15-20 it headwinds with substantial chop as this is a typical condition that I will be dealing with in my local waters.
    I am looking for info about anyone else’s experience, prop size and pitch , success, failure,etc. I know that prop choice is a very specific endeavor and shouldn’t be done without proper knowledge.
    I have two Yanmar 3JH5E , 39hp engines with SD 60 saildrives.
    Anyone out there that can lead me in the right direction?
    Thaks.
    I have a Lagoon 420 which had fixed 3 bladed and switched to max props self feathering.
    My boat reacts much better now and the props do not spin under sail only.

Good Luck,

Capt. John

What size/pitch was your fixed 3 blade prop? Engine hp and gear ratio?? Thanks.

Thanks Capn John,
    how did you determine the right size etc? Seems like it’s easy to do it wrong and possibly screw something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thanks Capn John,
    how did you determine the right size etc? Seems like it’s easy to do it wrong and possibly screw something up.
    I had my marina do the calculations.
    I have two 40 hp yanmars with sail drives.
    When I bought the cat I found out the owner had the wrong props on the
    boat so I replaced them with the right props.
    They’re not cheap, around 3k each.
    Mint sure of the gearing but they work great.

Good luck

Capt. John

So we had Wilmington Propller in Cali do the calculations and we went with 17”x15 3 blade fixed at first. We only got up 2600rpms at wot. Repitched to 17”x13” and now we ar getting 2900 at wot. Seems pretty good. We are gonna go with that. Much more response with the 3 blades than the old 2 blades.