Thread: Catamaran winter haul-out, repairs & live aboard in Spain/Portugal

Lightbulb Catamaran winter haul-out, repairs & live aboard in Spain/Portugal

Hello forumers,

We would like to draw on your wealth of experience to ask some advice on overwintering options in Spain/ Portugal from Sept/Oct this year.

We are a Privilege435
    The boat dimensions are:
    Width: 7m
    Length: 13m
    Draft: 1.6m
    Mast Height: 17m

Currently in the Islas Baleares we are looking for a boat yard where we can live on board for several months from September, do our own work (gel coat repairs, below the waterline anti fouling, stepping the mast, standing rigging) and not break the banků

We have done some research and contacted a few places; Bruces, Denia, Portimao, Gelves, Almerimar looked a good option however they need to hire a neighbouring boatyards crane costing 2600 euros...

Has anybody hauled a catamaran of a similar size in Spain/Portugal and could recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Catamaran winter haul-out, repairs & live aboard in Spain/Portugal

Hi Chicchis435,

Welcome aboard here.

Back in the winter of 2012/13 I hauled my boat out in Cartagena at the yard next to YPC Yacht Port Cartagena - my cat's beam is 6.2m and they hauled here out with their Travelift. I lived on board and did a lot of work incl. antifouling myself. Friendly folks there. Can't remember the yard's name but YPC should surely be able to advise. Chandlery is close by.

Cartagena itself is a super place to overwinter!
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

I suggest Cartagena as well. If you pass through Moraira (just about nearest point on the mainland to Islas Baleares) end of September, most of October, let me know. We have a house there and were owners of a P435 for more than 10 years. Very nice little marina at Moraira but I don't think they allow liveaboard.

Thanks for your heads up, I think I emailed Cartagena but will certainly dig a little deeper and chase it up.
    Hello Mike, it's Matthew we've had a couple of emails, thanks for the Moraira invite, we'll definitely let you know if we pass by!

hi Matt... I thought the boat name rang a bell!

Hey folks,

I've been in touch with YPC, and hoping they'll be able to advise on haul out options. When I contacted them initially in May they responded "Not being a boatyard there are certain works that cannot be done in our dry area, such as high pressure cleaning, antifouling or painting..." so i'd ruled them out. But as you suggest Multihullsailor6 the place next door, maybe called Ascar (??) could accommodate us on their hard standing for a couple of months and we could overwinter in Cartagena back in the water. A much more convenient option than going all the way to Portimao...

Thanks again