Thread: Throttle and gear shift cable lengths

Default Throttle and gear shift cable lengths

Don't suppose anyone knows the length of the morse cables for the throttle and saildrives offhand? Mine aren't marked with the usual teleflex/morse cable length info, so the alternative is to pull them out and measure.

I need to replace the port throttle cable - getting into Port Moselle marina, with string on the throttle wasn't too bad. Have friends flying in early next month who could bring me cables. They're well clipped so look like they coudl be a bugger of a job (probably need to remove both, measure then replace so I have gearbox to manoevre out of here).

Cheers,
    Rick

Default Re: Throttle and gear shift cable lengths

Should have mentioned, Privlege 435...

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Hi Rick,

Do you want to know the length of the cables?

If so, I would be good to inform on which P-boat you have and maybe building year, and on which side you want to replace the cable.

I have no experience with cable replacement but could imagine that you can by the cable by meter and cut it according to your needs. Maybe someone can post a comment about cutting a cable purchased by meter. (Replace meter by feet if needed).

Port side throttle on a 2002 P435 is 6.5m though thats quite tight on at the control unit end, so 7m may be better. Should be able to track down a replacement here, or get my buddies to bring one in. I'll see if I can get the lengths of the other cables for completeness. Will post here if I do.

@P435: These are morse/teleflex cables (type 33c I suspect) - you can't cut to length, you have to buy the appropriately sized one unfortunately.

Boat: Croatia; Living in Tokyo during the months not on the boat

Hi Rick, I keep fingers crossed that you get replacement soon.

Thanks also for the information on the cables as such.

Just quickly searched the web for "morse/teleflex cables type 33c" and got several hits; did not follow further though.

In my experience these cables are of dubious quality. They have a tendency of not lasting decades. It should not be that difficult to make them more robust. But as always, they would then be sold in lesser quantities.
    If you are ordering a cable, I will recommend you to buy an extra spare for the longest of the cables and have it on board. Most probably it can be used temporarily in all positions. And the cruising location does not have to be that remote to represent a problem with getting a new one. When buying mine, as far as I remember, the longest one I could get was 25ft. I chose that as the spare.

I hear you - though these look like they're original - at least 10 years anyway, so not done too badly. We rarely go into a marina, so even if one breaks, we're happy on one engine most of the time. In this case, we were pretty keen to get a good fresh water rinse due to the volcanic ash fallout from Aoba and not having had any rain in months!

Port Side:
    Throttle: 6.5m (but probably 7m is better) - measured
    Gear: Shorter than above (measure the differnce on your engine).

Starboard Side:
    Gear: 9.25m (measured)
    Throttle: Needs to be slightly longer - again measure on your engine

Hope that helps someone!

Depending on prices here, we'll either change them all, or just the broken one. We plan to re-engine in Australia anyway, so maybe easier to do the rest there...