Thread: New 8m owner, bilge pump question.

Default New 8m owner, bilge pump question.

Hi all, I bought an 8m 4 weeks ago sold as a project but far from the 2 boat projects I have bought and restored in the past. Basically a good clean, engines serviced new sails, nav gear and headlining and that's it. It had been inside a marina for most of this year and almost dry in both engine bays, I bought the boat home on engines and a bit of the bad sail for a bit of help for the engines, the journey took 4.5 hours and at the time no more water ingress into the engine bays. However in the 2 weeks since being back home and on a swinging mooring both the bays have let in water and quite a lot in the starboard side. Quite by accident whilst servicing the engines I found the float switch and bilge pump and when the switch was operated in the up position it did the job it should. The switch has 3 positions so am I right in thinking one position should be off, another for manual and the third for auto pump? I can't find any info whatsoever and of course you can't see or access the pumps very well with the engines in. The starboard side is not working at all you see and I had to place a portable pump in but wanting an auto solution ultimately. The pumps feel like they may be under the front of the engines and in a sump of sorts, does anyone know how they can be removed to test or replaced? Thanks in advance for even taking the time to read this epic, I'm sure during my refurb the articles on these pages will be useful.

Default Re: New 8m owner, bilge pump question.

Hello Gary,

No clue as my 8M only has an outboard and no electric bilge pumps...
    I am not sure if these pumps are oem or owner installed.

Congrats with your new cat!

Djeeke
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/