Thread: Standing rigging P435

Default Standing rigging P435

Hi,

im trying to find out the lengths of the standing rigging on my Privilege 435. I bought it off its original owner in March and we're preparing to haul out and complete some essential maintenance in Spain this winter. High on the priorities is stepping the mast and replacing the standing rigging.
    We measured the lengths from mast to hull and found one side was different to the other which explained a bend in the best to starboard. They've been tightened up for the meantime but I'm quite concerned that our forestry is much too loose and re is no turnbuckle to tighten it. It currently deflects quite a lot whilst close hauled and is probable putting the roller furling gear under strain as well as contributing to her pointing like a dog up wind!

has anyone changed the standing rigging themselves and do they know what the lengths are supposed to be from mast to deck? Would anyone be kind enough to climb the mast and measure their forestay/rigging in exchange for future beers/virtual love?

thanks and fair winds
    matt

Default Re: Standing rigging P435

A bend in the mast will not result from different length shrouds but from ill tensioned diamonds.

"our forestry is much too loose and re is no turnbuckle to tighten it."
    (forestay..)
    The forestay is not adjustable (at least not on the P37). It must be tightened by the upper shrouds. Maybe the mast could bend some by differential tightening of upper and lower shrouds, but as said by Peter, the straightening of the mast is via the diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    "our forestry is much too loose and re is no turnbuckle to tighten it."
    (forestay..)
    The forestay is not adjustable (at least not on the P37). It must be tightened by the upper shrouds. Maybe the mast could bend some by differential tightening of upper and lower shrouds, but as said by Peter, the straightening of the mast is via the diamonds.
    The forestay on most cats is not adjustable.

Suggestion to Matt would be to slacken off all shrouds and check linearly of mast. Adjust diamonds until mast is straight side to side and to achieve correct fore / aft prebend. Adjust upper shrouds until mast is vertical side to side then continue evenly tightening them until forestay is tight. Then adjust lower shrouds and baby stay if these exist.

Once the correct position, rake and prebend have been achieved then you can measure for replacements.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Once the correct position, rake and prebend have been achieved then you can measure for replacements.
    The correct position, rake, and pretend is hat I'm trying to work out
    I don't have any information on what this was when the Privilege 435 came out of the Alliaura shipyard in 2005 :/
    I was hoping a P435 owner might be able to shine a light on it for me

So you think the forestay might have been changed since the original installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    So you think the forestay might have been changed since the original installation?
    Im pretty sure it's the original wire as the date printed on the staged terminal matches the date of production. However since several of the other shrouds were oddly tightened I'm not confident it's the correct length or tension.
    Id really like to know what the correct rake, pretend and position is for the mast on a Privilege 435 but I can't find this information anywhere

I've tried contacting someone who used to work at Alliaura to see if this information exists. Is there another way to work it out maybe?

Matt