Thread: Catalac 8m weak points

Default Catalac 8m weak points

Hi guys,busy rebuilding a 8m.
    Are there any weak points I should be aware of?
    So far all the windows have been replaced ,a new dog house was build with a hard top bimini with 4 solar panels. New rudders and arms were fabricated.The centre motor compartment was closed of and 2 Suzuki 15hp four strokes were fitted. Changed to hydraulic steering and made a new instrument panel. Still lots to do ,any comments ,ideas, recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Default Re: Catalac 8m weak points

Hello Rickus,
    Seems like you have already done a lot of work on your 8M.
    No real weak points, seems like you are going over everything...
    I am interested in some of the things you have done, pictures would be nice.
    Kind regards
    Djeeke
    1979 Catalac 8M - 8-84 - Samimiy
    http://facebook.com/groups/catalac/

I have had my 8m (hull 08)for 14 years and much as I am attached to my boat it does have a few design and structural deficiencies.

Design
    1 on the port side steering cables exit into the rear locker from the port hullh via a turning block only about 4inches above the bottom of the locker. If you are in very heavy seas and there is plenty of water in there some can get through to the hull. Similarly if you try out up a beach which is steep to a lot of water can enter the hull before the boat floats off.
    2 the top off the rear lockers is open at the top to the hulls which could be catastrophic in certain situations. Even though the locker has a drain if that became blocked and following seas were heavy enough you could be looking at a sinking.
    3 the rudder steering arms and connecting bar have each a large hole which can take a lot of water. Couple this with 1 and 2 and you have a cause for concern.
    4 although the bulkhead at the door is 3/4 inch ply it is not enough considering it is open at the top off most of its width. On my boat the door started to get tight showing the bonding was failing or moving. I fitted another 3/4 inch bulkhead bonded to the hull bonding upstand from the other side and screwed and epoxied the two together as such has stabilized it all.
    5 the bulkheads between the rear lockers and the main hull are not sealed.
    6 the grey topsides are drab and hard to colour match, a poor decision by Tom lack.

Build quality
    1 generally the grp is commendably thick but like most hand laid hulls is variable. On my boat the bows are 12mm, when I fitted a bow thruster but when I removed the speed log it was only 7mm. The coach roof at the front side window. To starboard was only 5,mm. The deck moulding at the rear is only5mm in places. I have lots of areas of gelcoat crazing.

Not a lot of issues really for a 43 year old boat.

yup the rear lockers are 'wet' lockers so open at the top (non sealing lid) and side(rudder connecting bar). Indeed not watertight towards the main cockpit lockers.
    But the design is 40+ years old, have not heard yet about any 8M sinking due to the wet lockers flooding the main cockpit lockers...
    Can you elaborate a bit on point 4? (I am missing the point, maybe due to my mother tongue not being English, a picture might replace a lot of words ;-) )

Hmmm yes matching the grey will be a challenge for sure, I am not painting yet...

Yes the boat would have to be in a very bad way to get water from the top of the rear lockers into the hull and I think cheeks is right that there is no record of an 8mgoing down like that. More serious is the steering cable exit in the port locker. I had my boat moored up a steep beach and after 2tides the port main hull was 2ft deep in water and if I had not returned to the boat it would have sunk.
    The bulkhead at the main door has little rigidity being open at the top and with the door opening. The bonding at the cabin roof was failing and allowing the hull to flex an stop the door closing. Whether flexing caused the bonding to fail or it was just poor girl work is a moot point however the whole thing is much stiffer with a double bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    More serious is the steering cable exit in the port locker. I had my boat moored up a steep beach and after 2tides the port main hull was 2ft deep in water and if I had not returned to the boat it would have sunk.
    Thanks for the feedback! That must have been scary Sounds like you've been lucky on that one! 2 tides is just one day...
    The OP has probably taken care of this already as he has dumped the cable setup for hydraulic. As I have not seen any reply yet I am not sure how he routed his hydraulics neither if he removed the rudder connecting bar (meaning he would be able to modify the rear lockers from 'wet' ones to dry by closing up the rudder interconnection bar holes and installing another lid setup)
    An inspection on the inside would obviously mean the removal of the stainless tank as there is no access to that bulkhead otherwise...
    I have not dismounted he cable pulleys at the rear steering cable exit so I have on idea what size hole is in that bulkhead.
    Thinking out loud... Do you think installing some kind of diaphragm to reduce the size to about the cables diameter would help?

What I have done in the port locker is fit a piece of plastic about 8 inches wide across the corner with the cables and mssticed into place bottom and side and with a little sloping roof to deflect dripping water or spray and with a small slot for the cable to the quadrant. A bit crude but it works well and the locker could fill to about 2ft 6ins before spilling over.

Thanks guys for the inputs, it is highly appreciated, will try and add some pics
    The hydraulic cylinder is in port locker and mounted against the transom. There is a small opening between the rear of the wet locker and the hull for the piping.

Will get some more pics this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images