Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautitech 441/442 Onwers?

Default Nautitech 441/442 Onwers?

Hello Everyone. Any Nautitech 441/442 owners on this site? We are looking for feedback on the good/bad/ugly in regards to a 9-year old x-charter Nautitech Cat.

Thanks!

Default Re: Nautitech 441/442 Onwers?

Hello,
    I just bought Powathan, a 6 yr old Nautitech 442, 4 cabins version. At first glance, good quality of build, easy access to most of electric, water, electronic circuits, nice interior layout but lockers in cabins are few and narrow, there is more free space under beds. I just had a short trial at sea under sails, good performance downwind, fair upwind. The engine bilges are very deep and engine access is not easy, despite of an opening in transoms to reach the rear part of the engines. Sails trim is very simple, short rail for main and no rail, only 2 blocks, for genoa sheets. All halyards and reefing lines are on mast foot, you cannot act on them from the cockpit.
    I''l be able to say more in the next few weeks.

Thanks Powhatan. I'm glad you are enjoying the 'new' boat! I guess it will be a very Merry Christmas for you!!

Please keep us updated on your observations and thoughts about modifications.

Cheers!

I was also wondering why this vessel is listed with a 44-ft LOA and a 40-ft LWL? With its near vertical bows, where does the 4 feet go? Is this a misprint that all the reviews keep carrying over? Or did someone include the bowsprit in the LOA?

The bowsprit is a possible explanation. On my registration papers the LOA is 13,4 m, which is exactly 44 ft, but the LWL is not described. In some ports it can happen that they measure the LOA with laser devices to calculate mooring fees, and it always includes bowsprit, dinghy, and anything exceeding the outer limits of the boat.

Looking at the Nautitech 40.2 and 441,442. I found that I can’t fit in the bunks on the 40.2 4 cabin, but the owners bunk is long enough for me. The extra few inches in length for the 441,442 bunks makes them adequate. If I buy one of these I would have to add waste tanks to bring them into US waters And need to account for the cost to convert it. No problem with the 220Vac wiring. I think an isolation transformer with dual input taps for 120 or 220 is advisable for shorepower on any boat. I saw Nautitech’s holding tank above the head solution and can tell you from 20 yrs experience with this that you don’t want to rely on a jocker valve to keep your holding tank from deposting it’s content on your floor. Any proper solution puts the tank below the head. Less head pressure (pun intended) that way.

Thanks for the feedback Capt. Rehab. As a big guy; a big bed and a big head are necessary. I saw the overhead tanks and was already planning to combine at least one of the double heads into a single (larger) unit. After 11 years, we are fans of the Lagoon setup on our older model (very robust and error-free). I think we would emulate that design if we move forward on a 441... But I'm still wondering just how much bigger a 441/442 is compared to our Lagoon 38? I mean we walked by a bunch of them 2 years ago in Le Marin Martinique - and of course I never asked the charter companies if we could step about to check them out (so much for forward vision).

Not sure about the comparison to the Lagoon 380 but I don’t recall the berths being cramped when I chartered one for a week. The 441/442 are pretty tight at 6’5” but not uncomfortable. Also I prefer the single helm. Nautitech did the dual helm right on the Bavaria Open 40. I really loved those dual helms. The 40.2 dual helms were awful. The stanchions were always loose as if they spent much of the time trying to keep the helmsman from going overboard. Much better protection on the open 40. Also easy to walk between the two helms on the open 40 and not so easy on the 40.2. The moving seat on the 40.2 makes a mess of the path to the stern as well.
    Last edited by Capt.Rehab; 17th December 2018 at 04:11 PM.

The Open 40 helm

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Rehab View Post
    The Open 40 helm
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 40.2 helm, more exposed rhan on the Open 40
    Last edited by Capt.Rehab; 18th December 2018 at 11:34 AM.

Another style 40.2 helm

Catana 42 helm. Similar to 40.2

The 441 helm.

In general the narrow hulls on all the Nautitech boats had less room in the berths and heads than Lagoon or Fountaine Pajot of similar length

Yep, thanks. We've seen the differences.

Any comment on longevity issues? Hull or deck concerns? Or any legacy weaknesses in general? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coatal Ogre View Post
    Yep, thanks. We've seen the differences.

Any comment on longevity issues? Hull or deck concerns? Or any legacy weaknesses in general? Thanks!
    Nothing obvious when looking at any of the boats other than the wear and tear you might expect on a used charter boat. Every boat I looked at had some water damage to interior wood. Most likely the ports were left open in the rain and nobody wiped up the water so the finish on the wood suffered. At least the maintenance people made an attempt to make some repairs.

I have only toured one catamaran factory and that was Catana. The workmanship and engineering that goes into the new 53 is quite impressive.
    As far as Hull/Deck concerns I would choose PVC foam over balsa as a core material. End grain balsa probably has better sheer strength, but it will rot when wet

Typo Should be shear strength. It also has substantially greater compressive strength than the PVC core. Still any damage to the skin would expose the core to water and that is why I prefer the PVC foam. You do have to adjust the lamination to compensate for the difference

Hello,
    Short feed-back after 3 months sailing non-stop with more than 5,000 NM. The mediterranean in december was sometimes rough with winds up to 40 knots, but the boat did well. Atlantic passage was comfortable with fine winds and weather. Some issues to be considered :
    - the sail plan after Nautitech recommendations is different for upwind and downwind, although the reference winds are always apparent wind. Moreover, it is recommended to reduce earlier downwind than upwind, for the same range of apparent wind. If this is not a print mistake, it seems illogical to me. I followed the upwind instructions for any kind of wind (I managed to be mostly downwind) and I found them accurate.
    - the pieces holding the actuator arms of pilot and steering wheel on steering sectors are much too fragile, and they broke on both sides in the middle of Atlantic. So my spare pilot was useless. We managed with large bolts I had brought and daily check, and we arrived on the west side without problem. But this should not happen. I had big pieces of stainless built by FKG Rigging in St Maarten, nothing to be compared to the previous pieces, and they guaranteed that it would not break. After 400 M nothing has moved on each side.
    - The cabins are more comfortable than I imagined, though the beds are a little short for me (6 ft). The lockers give enough room for a 3-week stay, not for liveaboard (Powhatan is a 4 cabin version). The aft port cabin has become a technical area, with all the batteries and thus all the stuff I added : 1,5 KW inverter, solar panels regulators, hydrogenerator regulator, watermaker. In total this makes weight which is not balanced by equivalent load on the stbd hull (there is only the BIB on stbd). I acknowledge I actually did not find any obvious consequence on navigation behaviour, but all this shoud be in a technical room dedicated to all additional components.
    - I installed electric toilets, and I was happy to find electric cables already in the heads, the other end waiting behind the electric panel. There are other pre-installed cables for 12V network and other purposes. Good point to Nautitech.
    - I tried to apply to Nautitech to order spare parts, after I had previous contacts with a Mr Colin at Bavaria-Nautitech. This man introduced himself as responsible for after sales and spare parts orders. After more than 12 days I have no response, despite of repeated recalls. Bad point to Nautitech.
    - I have a question -I asked also Mr Colin !- : are the water tanks on aluminium or stainless ? When looking at them, I cannot decide !
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post

Some issues to be considered :
    - the sail plan after Nautitech recommendations is different for upwind and downwind, although the reference winds are always apparent wind. Moreover, it is recommended to reduce earlier downwind than upwind, for the same range of apparent wind. If this is not a print mistake, it seems illogical to me. I followed the upwind instructions for any kind of wind (I managed to be mostly downwind) and I found them accurate.
    As a rule of thumb reef according to whichever is the highest, True or Apparent wind. For example if the boat is moving a 10 knots.

Sailing directly downwind in 30 knots true then the apparent would only be 20 knots, if you are stopped suddenly by a wave or head up sharply the apparent wind and centrifugal forces will rise significantly (capsize or pitchpole). True wind prevails.

Sailing directly upwind (I know this is impossible) then the apparent wind would be 40 knots. Apparent wind prevails.

So as in the recommendations the apparent wind at which you should reef appears lower when going downwind, the figures in the recommendations differ because, as stated, you can't sail directly into the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan View Post

I asked also Mr Colin !- : are the water tanks on aluminium or stainless ? When looking at them, I cannot decide !
    Use a knife or sharp tool to scratch the surface. SS will slide and be very difficult to scratch. Ali will bed down easily and drag causing a scratch.

Always nice to hear some real feedback. Good stuff sounds like you are enjoying the ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast