Thread: Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

Default Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

My 8M had steering for the engine connected to the connecting bar when I got the boat. Although it made the boat more manoervable the steering was a bit heavy and jerky so when I re-engined to a 30hp outboard I did not refit the engine steering. I have managed ok for about 12 years but have mainly been on strot or swinging moorings but now having a fairly tight pontoon berth beam on to a tidal river I need everything goig for me and I want to refit the engine steering. I have mislaid the small spring compensators(?) and I am having difficulty sourcing these so if anyone can identify a source that would be great. There are plenty of bigger ones around but not the tiny ones say 125mm long.

One of the reasons I did not refit the outboard steering is that I carry a tender on davits and resting on wooden boards between the two rear lockers and access to clip the steering ropes on and off is difficult. I would like to be able to have the lines slacken when the outboard is up for sailing and tighten when down for motoring. Any ideas on this?

Also I would like some comments on how the 8m steers with the outboard steering connected - is it heavy?

Default Re: Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    My 8M had steering for the engine connected to the connecting bar when I got the boat. Although it made the boat more manoervable the steering was a bit heavy and jerky so when I re-engined to a 30hp outboard I did not refit the engine steering. I have managed ok for about 12 years but have mainly been on strot or swinging moorings but now having a fairly tight pontoon berth beam on to a tidal river I need everything goig for me and I want to refit the engine steering. I have mislaid the small spring compensators(?) and I am having difficulty sourcing these so if anyone can identify a source that would be great. There are plenty of bigger ones around but not the tiny ones say 125mm long.

One of the reasons I did not refit the outboard steering is that I carry a tender on davits and resting on wooden boards between the two rear lockers and access to clip the steering ropes on and off is difficult. I would like to be able to have the lines slacken when the outboard is up for sailing and tighten when down for motoring. Any ideas on this?

Also I would like some comments on how the 8m steers with the outboard steering connected - is it heavy?
    I have sourced these now with a helpful comment on YBW site. I would still welcome comments about how engine steering actuaslly works in practice on the open sea as well as when parking the boat!
    I