Thread: Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

Default Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

My 8M had steering for the engine connected to the connecting bar when I got the boat. Although it made the boat more manoervable the steering was a bit heavy and jerky so when I re-engined to a 30hp outboard I did not refit the engine steering. I have managed ok for about 12 years but have mainly been on strot or swinging moorings but now having a fairly tight pontoon berth beam on to a tidal river I need everything goig for me and I want to refit the engine steering. I have mislaid the small spring compensators(?) and I am having difficulty sourcing these so if anyone can identify a source that would be great. There are plenty of bigger ones around but not the tiny ones say 125mm long.

One of the reasons I did not refit the outboard steering is that I carry a tender on davits and resting on wooden boards between the two rear lockers and access to clip the steering ropes on and off is difficult. I would like to be able to have the lines slacken when the outboard is up for sailing and tighten when down for motoring. Any ideas on this?

Also I would like some comments on how the 8m steers with the outboard steering connected - is it heavy?

Default Re: Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    My 8M had steering for the engine connected to the connecting bar when I got the boat. Although it made the boat more manoervable the steering was a bit heavy and jerky so when I re-engined to a 30hp outboard I did not refit the engine steering. I have managed ok for about 12 years but have mainly been on strot or swinging moorings but now having a fairly tight pontoon berth beam on to a tidal river I need everything goig for me and I want to refit the engine steering. I have mislaid the small spring compensators(?) and I am having difficulty sourcing these so if anyone can identify a source that would be great. There are plenty of bigger ones around but not the tiny ones say 125mm long.

One of the reasons I did not refit the outboard steering is that I carry a tender on davits and resting on wooden boards between the two rear lockers and access to clip the steering ropes on and off is difficult. I would like to be able to have the lines slacken when the outboard is up for sailing and tighten when down for motoring. Any ideas on this?

Also I would like some comments on how the 8m steers with the outboard steering connected - is it heavy?
    I have sourced these now with a helpful comment on YBW site. I would still welcome comments about how engine steering actuaslly works in practice on the open sea as well as when parking the boat!
    I

Default Re: Springs in engine steering linkage ropes etc

No real practice yet yet open sea but "parking" the boat with my 15hp 4stroke not heavy at all and very easy to push/pull the stern wherever you want it!