Thread: Bay Manufacturing Outboard Leg Extension Kits

Default Bay Manufacturing Outboard Leg Extension Kits

I am still looking for the holy grail of a 30hp outboard engine with an extra long leg and a gear ratio to enable a good diameter prop. The Yamaha High Thrust 25 has a 2.42 gear and a 12" prop , all good but only does a 20" leg. The Tohatsu 30 is a ultra long 25" leg but only a 2.17 gear ratio and a 10" diameter prop.
    An option for me is the Yamaha and fit a Bay Manufacturing extension kit http://www.baymfg.com/

These look very good but I am wondering how they fare in real life. The studs and drive extension are stainless steel-I was not aware that stainless was a good material for that type of application.

Any experiences in using or fitting these kits?

Default Re: Bay Manufacturing Outboard Leg Extension Kits

No experience with those kits, but the standard drive shaft and studs on outboards are usually stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by 44C View Post
    No experience with those kits, but the standard drive shaft and studs on outboards are usually stainless.
    I had an impressively quick and detailed reply from Bay. They say the shafts are specified by their suppliers as 17-4 double aged H1150. It is a pity that the 25hp high thrust Yamaha does not come in ultra long. Also that outboard engines are more expensive in the uk than the Us. In the uk the FT25 with remotes and power tilt is 4685 ($5990) and comes to $6600 with extension kit up to 25" shaft!

It's probably even more expensive in Australia....