Thread: Maxim Ideas

Default Maxim Ideas

This forum is for Maxim owners to swap ideas about design improvements, maintenance issues, tips or whatever you feel other owners may benefit from.

Well, I am not a am Maxim owner but I am in the market for a cruising cat. I had nearly settled on a new Seawind 1000xl, but the posterior dropping out of the stock market has slowed that up a little, but a Maxim 38 has come on the market in Australia at a reasonable price, so tell me the good and bad points and what to look for in a 5 year old boat.

Default 2nd Hand Maxim

PM on it's way...

Stingo, are your experiences anything you would care to share with us? We can all learn from both what you think is good as well as those things you would have like to have seen done otherwise.

Alan

Hi Alan

Off the top of my head:
    - I would have liked to have had a slightly wider deck between the coach roof and the gunnel, but only very slightly - perhaps 3 - 6 inches at the most. The reason for this is that I believe it would be easier to get to the foredeck in nasty weather.
    - At the time of build, I wish I had chosen the two cabin version ie, both hulls have the owners layout. There are numerous reasons for this, namely: easier access to the stb engine room, two cabins limits the number of annoying relatives that can all visit at one time, the walk-thru heads of the three cabin layout is fairly small compared to the owners. The negative of that layout is, the loss of a junk cabin.
    - I'd like the carrying capacity to be more than it is. Since I live aboard, my entire life is packed away on my boat. Perhaps a 44 footer would have been more appropriate, but I couldn't afford one.

Cheers

John

The maxim I was having a sly look at has sold. It was very very cheap.

Default Re: Maxim Ideas

Hi John,

Seeing that you are in South Africa, what do you know about Proud Catamarans and if they are intending to build the Maxim 38? I believe your boat was about the last one built, how was the "Master" bath configured, the last thing I heard was that they were making a separate shower in it.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

John is a good friend and is currently somewhere of the coast of South America. If you want I can give you his e-mail.

Yes Proud did buy the moulds for the Maxim, however I would be very wary of buying anything from them for the time being! Their first boats were atrocious (to say the least) and one of the reasons the Maxim factory closed down was that the moulds have reached the end of their life time and required too much re-working. Other being that the lease on the premises expired, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tropic1 View Post
    Hi John,

Seeing that you are in South Africa, what do you know about Proud Catamarans and if they are intending to build the Maxim 38? I believe your boat was about the last one built, how was the "Master" bath configured, the last thing I heard was that they were making a separate shower in it.

Regards,

Dave
    Hi Dave

I am no longer in South Africa, but am cruising and currently in Trinidad. My Maxim was the last one built and I know that Maxim sold the moulds to Proud in May 2007. I am under the impression that the moulds are not in good condition because they have been left outside since then and moulds aren't UV resistant and the Durban air is very dirty and humid.

Further to that, I would do some serious thinking about Proud as a financially stable builder and as a quality builder. The main man went on a buying spree and bought the moulds for several boats - Ravin, Maxim, Parlay, Fusion, Prout (renamed Proud)... to name a few and he has not built a good boat yet (AFAIK). He went into the business on some political motive with what is known in South Africa as BEE money. Very few BEE businesses succeed - (do a google.co.za on BEE or Black Economic Empowerment)

One of the main reasons that I went for a Maxim, was the attention to detail of the builder - Glynn Buckle. He is still building boats - but mainly one off's. I have his contact details if you're interested - and he is in a position to make a more accurate comment on the condition of the old Maxim moulds, should you still be interested in one.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

I agree with Johns evaluation of Proud, I looked at some of their boats about 8 months ago, I was not impressed.

Thanks for the responces everyone.

I already own a Maxim 38 and was wondering if Proud started building the Maxim 38's again but of a poor quality how that would affect the reputation and value of our boats. Glad to hear that Glynn is still building boats, I met him at the Annapolis boat show back in 2004. I would like his contact info just to have a contact for questions or help about the 38.

John, how is your main head layed out, the last time I spoke with Maxim before they closed their doors was a redesigned head layout with a separate shower stall and was wondering if they actually ever built one that way? I agree with you the engine under the bunk is very difficult to work on compared to the access thru the head. We will be heading down to the Bahamas this winter but not much further than that.

Regards,

Dave

Hey mods,

How about a little clean up here on isle 4?

What kind of post is the above?
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves"!

Quote Originally Posted by jkd View Post
    Hey mods,

How about a little clean up here on isle 4?

What kind of post is the above?
    Alright, alright, some of us have got business's to run , I have squashed the Twat now