Thread: Rigging Question

Default Rigging Question

I have a 43 St Francis I am renovating. The ex-owner is a power boater so whenever I ask a question I get an answer that dosen't match the question.
    Can anyone tell me why there are 4 - 9/16" lines in the boom thru cluches mounted on the boom. One would be the outhaul, one would be a reef? What are the remaining two??
    Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: Rigging Question

Without having actually seen the setup I would think that the two remaining lines are for reefs as well. There is an outside chance that one of them is used for a topping lift.
    I doubt that your mainsail only has one reef, more likely 2 or 3 reefs.

Thomas

Thanks, that make since - I am used to smaller sailboats with 1 small reef line.
    Chris

This time I attached some pics. The first is the boom at the mast. There are 4 cluches at the bottom of the boom - the lines run from the bottom of the boom where there is a winch thru the cluches to the end of the boom. The second pic is the end of the boom where the lines come out.
    These are 3 reef lines and an outhual?
    Also, in the first pic does anyone know what the bail hanging from the bottom of the boom is for?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bit hanging from the boom will be for a kicker or cunningham, and it looks like you have 3 reefs
    John

the metal hoop hanging down i dont think is for a kicker to feable and two close to mast for a kicker
    i think its to hold the fingers of the clutches up in the open position to alow the reaf lines to run free.
    i use a elastic cord to do this job.
    majika