Multihulls4us Forums  

Go Back   Multihulls4us Forums > Multihull Owner Forums > Solaris Catamarans

Old 6th March 2010, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Solaris Owners of the world unite!

Yes Pam, I sent the info but received no acknowledgment. Can you try another surveyor in the area?
Old 6th March 2010, 10:47 PM
Boat: SV Aeolus Solaris 42 1975

Thanks for your help. He didn't mention to Jim that he had heard from you, not that he replies to my e-mails either. Still sticking to his $30,000 I just don't know what he wants.
Old 7th March 2010, 05:49 PM
Boat: none at present but keen on solaris/twins/prouts/catalacs/O'brien cats

Hi again Svaeolus
I will try to e-mail Mike Cunningham for you, in the meantime you might find Rod Gibbons of more use to you as he is based your side of the pond, and if there is anybody a real multihull expert it is Rod, he owns a huge multihull business dealing in boats starting about $500,000 so he told me.
The reason he would be good is that he had the Catfisher 28 lengthened to 32 feet and some other major changes these boats were built in Lymington, Hampshire UK. He then imported virtually all Catfisher 32's produced to the USA, the Catfisher was another design by Terry Compton.
His business would certainly involve multihull insurance and surveying best of all he is a cat enthusiast and has vast experience. his e-mail address is rodgibbons@mindspring.com he is coming to the UK this month, I don't know when but if you are quick you might catch him best of luck.
Nibby
Old 7th March 2010, 06:11 PM
Boat: none at present but keen on solaris/twins/prouts/catalacs/O'brien cats

Hi Svaeolus and everyone.
I think that one of the Solaris 42's in the Med has recently sold? a few weeks ago there were three on the internet one being an unattractive stretched version, indeed that may be the one that has now gone. All three were valued at over 100,000 Euros the one that looks best is hard to find as it is based in Port Grimaud south of France, marketed soley in French but has some good pictures and sketch plan, lovely shiny deep blue hull, my guess is that this is a MK11 it is a sloop and the interior seems more moulded than others I have seen. Personally, I prefer the wooden bespoke interior and ketch rig on a boat this size makes more sense.
But the point of my story is that one does seem to have sold circa 100,000 Euros.
Nibby
Old 8th March 2010, 03:56 PM

Have found the one in France , http://catamaran-solaris.monsite.orange.fr/ is there web page. Like the washing machine in the second head space.
Can also be seen on http://www.citytoo.fr/fr/fr/catamara...Z31QidZ9634376
Looks to be identical to ours, apart from ours still being the ketch rig. I like the selling price too.
Thanks for the info Pam

Last edited by svaeolus; 8th March 2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added that ours is a ketch rig.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Boat: Solaris 42 Micawber

Hi Thanks for starting a Solaris forum.
I have had Solaris 42 since 1992. It was built to the specs of a weathly German businessman. He had installed a sitzbath in the stargboard bow cabin leaving it with a single berth. We were hailed by a passerby in Gothenburg Marina, Sweden. The guy was very excited. Is this the boat with the bath? Did I know it had been seen by Princess Grace when she was looking for a wedding present for Caroline and has insisted the bath be installed on their boat. Yes it is! I remembered Uli the first owner had told me the story.
We have taken our two children sailing every summer. When they were small the bath was great for cooling off and calming down before bed. My wife and I love it. We love the boat.
A few years ago we were told by a surveyor there was osmosis. In fact it was only a few small bubbles to be expected on a boat built in 1975. Anyway we sandblasted her, dried her out and gave 6 coats of gelshield and three of CopperBot (now CopperCoat).
We renewed the rig with StaLok.
When spares became difficult for the Mercedes 72hp truck engines marinised by a now-extinct firm, we re-engined with twin Yanmar 48hp saildrives SD50. (Original owner had wanted to go faster so grossly over-engined - and must have gone slower for all the added weight!) We are now much lighter, more efficient and maintenance is much easier.
Our pride and joy is the Raritan electric toilet the LecSan. We have the 24V model. Discharges are appoved for Great Lakes by EPA since they are neutralised by hydroclorous acid (In fresh water we use a cup of table salt). It's great at night in a remote anchorage or marina berth and environmentally friendly. Being an American firm spares are easy and cheap to get hold of with full instructions and lots of help. I find generally UK firms are hopeless at after-sales service.
We have learnt to do most things ourselves as a result.
The dreaded liner we tackled head on - my wife was in charge. Problem is the old foam backing crumbles to a powder and lets go with resulting sags.
Recommended procedure is to use a separate closed cell foam that one sticks to the walls or ceiling boards. The liner is then stuck with impact adhesive to the sturdy foam. On the ceiling boards one staples them to the back as well. It's a lot of work but it looks good.
We used Hawke House Marine for our supples.
We have had some fast sails without the pounding. There was some difficulty tacking but we learnt to pull the bow over with the Genoa. It took a while but we have now learnt how to handle things.
Previous owner put on an electric Genoa furler and this has been great. It failed in heavy seas entering Belfast lough a year or two back and I could not furl it manually. Had to put one engine forward, one reverse and tiller hard over and wind the forestay round the sail. It worked.
Later found out the furler had been mounted with furl and reef in reverse so pressure was against a retaining cotter pin rather than bearing surfaces. It was so well built it was worth rebuiling the main furling rod since the gearbox was oil filled and like new.
These are just a few of the stories from many years ownership. We have sailed in northern Europe - we're not keen on hot weather.
We love our Solaris 42. I'd be pleased to answer questions as required.
Micawber
Old 18th May 2010, 12:55 PM
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Location: Belleville, Ontario, Canada; Playa Zaragoza, Isla de Margarita.

Weldome to the forum, Mr. Micawber! So glad you have joined our developing site in gneral and this thread in particular - there are a couple of owners of 42's on the site who are in the process of major refits and who will no doubt benefit from your experience.

Your boat sounds like another example of the solid construction enjoyed by the owners of Solaris yachts - they really were built to last. I too have a bath tub in the forward starboard hull of my boat - it was an option on the Sunstream 40, perhaps inspired by your 42. While I haven't used the tub for bathing (although my fiance has suggested that we install jacuzzi jets for use when dockside!), the entire compartment has now become a dedicated shower/laundry compartment, which keeps moisture out of the two heads. In fact, the tub is useful for soaking particularly dirty towels etc. or for washing stains off a sail (and with the overhead hatch, one just throws them below and directly into the tub).

In any event, cheers and good sailing!

Brad
Old 27th May 2010, 05:42 PM
axel&andie

hi everyone,
do you by any chance know when solaris started their business? our family yacht charter business in turkey, from the early 80s to the late 90s had the same name.
just curious about which one came first.
thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 06:20 PM

It's got to have been in the early 70's, our boat was built in 1974 launched 1975
Old 28th May 2010, 11:58 AM

Yes I agree it was about 1972. It was designed T Compton and built at Wilments Shipyard Southampton. Somewhere in my files I have a copy of a technical paper on the stability computations. Unfortunately it was not dated. It was desgned to be a safe charter luxury cruising catamaran. Care was taken to give enough buoyancy in the hulls so the centre of effort remained between the hulls. There was concern at the time of capsizes or pitchpoling. Solaris was designed to overcome these problems.
I believe it was the only Catamaran built to Lloyds 100A1. You could probably find out from Lloyds Register when Solaris 42 was first listed. It was certainly in the early 1970s since it was well-established by 1974.
Old 28th May 2010, 05:44 PM
Boat: 1999 - Sunstar 32 - 'BABIBA'

I believe all Solaris cats were built to Lloyds 100A1, maybe a bit heavier than some, but very strong and built to last
Old 28th May 2010, 07:55 PM

Ireaney, you are correct; I assume the reference to the 42 being the only cat built to Lloyd's 100 A1 standards was because it was the first Solaris and possibly the only design built to those standards at the time.

Brad
Old 28th May 2010, 09:28 PM

No boat is built to Lloyds 100A1. Boats might be built to Lloyds rules, but to be classed 100 A1 the plans have to be passed by Lloyds (in my experience they always want extra stringers etc), the vessel has to be inspected at critical stages by a Lloyds surveyor during construction and then again during sea trials, after which the surveyor will "class" the boat, 100A1 being the highest class awarded. Owners then have to arrange regular Lloyds inspections to maintain their boat in class.
The original Solaris 42 builders went through this procedure for each boat. I don't think subsequent Solaris builders will have gone to these extreme lengths (and costs) however well the boats were built.
Old 30th May 2010, 03:47 AM
axel&andie

thanks for all the replies and information, people.
Old 4th July 2010, 04:50 PM
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36, 1996

Hi Solaris owners
Mark and Lee and our Solaris Sunstar36 Manatee, made in 1996.
Had the boat for 10 years and very happy with her.
Got an Atlantic crossing under our belts and many trips up and down the Caribbean chain.

Manatee is on the hard in Virgin Gorda at present awaiting our return. when we get to her we will tackle what I think may be Osmosis blisters on the hulls at water level(tiny bubbles around 1/8-1/2inch - 3-12mm diameter) .

Can any one advise if this is what I think it is or some thing else?

Preparing to grind out each blister then vacuum bag the hulls.
Then apply gelcoat.
Any advice or tips would be most welcome.
Old 4th July 2010, 05:19 PM

Blisters at the waterline could be that you are a bit overloaded? We suggest not using gel coat but the West system (or other similar) then a barrier coat (a epoxy based thinner for fairing). Maybe you should raise the boot stripe!
Old 5th July 2010, 12:21 PM

It sounds like what is called osmosis. We had similar problem with our 1975 Solaris 42. Vacuum bagging is expensive and not really necessary. I suspect there is osmosis over the whole hull and not the waterline. In any case if you plan to treat it then do all the underwater hulls.
Our treatment consisted of sandblasting the hull, washing down with freshwater to remove any chemicals then sun drying for several months.
Then we coated with West epoxy with ultralight filler and sanded. This required several coats to get a smooth finish. A random rotary sander is great for the job and the ultralight is easy to sand since it is not structural.
We then applied alternate coats of Grey and Green Gelshield 200 by International. We had 6 coats in total. Then we applied Coppercoat, a water soluble epoxy with a suspension of about 1kg of copper powder per tin, for 3 coats.
There are many boats in our yard with similar treatments all successful over 10 years or more.
However osmosis is reputed to be more severe or rapid in warm waters. This may account for why yours is showing symptoms only 20 years after build.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Mr Micawber; 5th July 2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Missed step out
Old 5th July 2010, 01:10 PM

Hi Mark and Lee. I think you have received the correct advice on all counts: yes, it sounds like Osmotic blistering. The size of the blisters suggests that you have caught the problem quite early and so the repair should be relatively straight forward.

You must remember that gelcoat is somewhat water permeable and hence, you need to blast off the gelcoat (and raising the waterline is a good idea), fair with epoxy and then cover the entire area with an epoxy barrier coat (they can be rolled on); there are numerous systems out there and, so long as you follow their instructions you can't go too far wrong.

My boat had the hulls barrier coated before I purchased her (6 years ago)and there are absolutely no signs of osmotic blistering.

Cheers!

Brad
Old 19th July 2010, 01:41 AM
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 30

Hi All

Some of you may remember me posting last year re a Solaris (Kelsall) Suncat 30 I was looking to buy. (Slight change of forum name due to defunct email address).

I probably should have updated this then. The survey was generally fine so the deal was done in June 2009. There followed an interesting 8 weeks cruising from Hartlepool to Glasgow via the Caledonian canal (rubbish weather) and the Crinan canal (very narrow).

Replaced all the electronics either before or en-route including a new autopilot and almost completely rewired the domestic electrics. The hydraulic drive also packed up at the start of the Caledonian canal - very expensive - took a very helpful engineer 2 days to fix.

Apart from my complete inability to get the boat to reach properly she has been absolutely fine. We had a thoroughly enjoyable summer just bimbling around going nowhere fast - best point of sail seems to be close-hauled or running gull winged(11 knots down Inverness Firth).

I left her all wrapped up near Glasgow at the end of August and haven't seen her since (pressure of work). I'm going back to her this week to sort her out, get her launched and then about 4 weeks to get to Bideford - should be a good trip if the weather cooperates for once.

I will try to keep you posted with progress as and when it happens.

Rob
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the update Rob, and welcome back to the forum. Glad you enjoyed the boat and, I must say, that seems like pretty impressive performance for a 30 foot cruising cat that is big on comfort.

Brad