Multihulls4us Forums  

Go Back   Multihulls4us Forums > Multihull Sailing Forum

Multihull Sailing Forum Discuss any topic relating to multihull sailing

Old 6th July 2010, 04:40 PM
Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Default 32' Catamaran Capsize Off California

FYI,

Found this inserted in the CF thread I mentioned elsewhere. I think the monomaran sailors are all jumping up and down over there, but figured our Forum members would want to know the details to add to our own knowledge base.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAN41E9JJ6.DTL

Later post stated it was a PDQ 32 but no details were provided, so if anyone knows the particulars please share.

Marshall
Old 6th July 2010, 06:09 PM

Default Re: 32' Catamaran Capsize Off California

Its not a monomaran, its a halfboat
Old 6th July 2010, 08:10 PM
Boat: 1999 - Sunstar 32 - 'BABIBA'

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
FYI,

Found this inserted in the CF thread I mentioned elsewhere. I think the monomaran sailors are all jumping up and down over there,
Trouble is the 'Monomaran' or 'Half-a-boat' owners forget that when theirs capsize they normally sink, therefore, and a BIG therefore they never make the news, COZ we don't hear about it COZ there are NO survivors :

Wish I hadn't have been banned from CF, coz I would love to have said this and wound up some of their delinquent members such as the twat JOLI, Ex-Calif and FrankZ.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:26 PM
Boat: holding
Brit Basher

Careful Ian, did you see it was a 32' cat that flipped?

What size is yours again?

John
Old 6th July 2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post
Careful Ian, did you see it was a 32' cat that flipped?

What size is yours again?

John
Not mine, she is only 31 feet 10 inches (and they think it is a PDQ a considerably less beam) and it is still waiting for the engine head valve seats, should have been finished today but no news so I will be on that phone tomorrow and it will be RED HOT

I WANT TO PLAY, AND PLAY NOW
Old 6th July 2010, 11:18 PM
Boat: St Francis 50 - Suliere
Administrator

Quote:
I WANT TO PLAY, AND PLAY NOW
So do I
Old 7th July 2010, 04:40 AM
Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran

It would appear to me that smaller and lighter cats are easier to flip.

It would be interesting to see statistics on the size and beam of cruising cats that have wind induced capsize or wave induced capsize. I wonder if anyone has that data?

Intuitively, I feel that bigger is safer, but I may be wrong.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:17 AM
Boat: SV CatNirvana, Lagoon 440, #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxingout View Post
If one simply extends the discussion down to the Hobie level, an inverse relationship between size and propensity to flip (the bigger the vessel, the less likely to flip) seems pretty compelling.

ireaney...are you really banned from CF?!? How'd you mange to do that?? If so and if it makes you feel any better, someone we know pretty well (under the 'handle' D&D!) pointed out on that CF thread that the troubled cat in that discussion floated thus saving her crew...and mono's (half-boats) are much more likely to sink. Then another of our countrymen -- Go the Aussies! -- volunteered that he "just finished reading three coronial files on deaths on sunken monos". So perhaps the cats are being well defended over there in your absence.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:43 AM

I would agree to a point but I think there are a lot of factors that would affecting all sizes, naturally a heavier and bigger boat will handle larger seas much easier.

My cat is 32 feet long with a 17.5 foot beam, there are bigger prouts with beams that are 3 feet less than mine, so you have a stability factor there, it will depend a lot on built in buoyancy, plus it depends on whether the person sailing it has too much sail up etc.

My little boat according to the stats can sail with full sail up to 29knts of wind (I wouldn't, because I am a coward) but then this is without taking the sea state into account.

At the end of the day always be cautious and reef, heave to, sea anchor etc to the conditions and your ability, I suppose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxingout View Post
It would appear to me that smaller and lighter cats are easier to flip.

It would be interesting to see statistics on the size and beam of cruising cats that have wind induced capsize or wave induced capsize. I wonder if anyone has that data?

Old 7th July 2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
ireaney...are you really banned from CF?!? How'd you mange to do that?? If so and if it makes you feel any better, someone we know pretty well (under the 'handle' D&D!) pointed out on that CF thread that the troubled cat in that discussion floated thus saving her crew...and mono's (half-boats) are much more likely to sink. Then another of our countrymen -- Go the Aussies! -- volunteered that he "just finished reading three coronial files on deaths on sunken monos". So perhaps the cats are being well defended over there in your absence.
Yes, as is Paul, banned 3 times, different names, first time pushed for answers from a lying manufacturer a bit too hard, second time directly confronted 2 moderators accusing them of being puppets and condoning lying and ultimately Nazis, third time for winding up the mono section as a gay lawyer with a hairdresser boyfriend called Sebastian

Anyway I am glad that you are there backing up the multihulls.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
pushed for answers from a lying manufacturer a bit too hard...directly confronted 2 moderators accusing them of being puppets and condoning lying and ultimately Nazis...winding up the mono section as a gay lawyer with a hairdresser boyfriend called Sebastian
TOO GOOD!

WHAT A GREAT EXAMPLE TO US ALL!!
Old 7th July 2010, 09:56 AM

Basically the point I was trying to make over there was that we are all adults and within reason should be able to say what we like, but I felt like I was back at school and the School Prefects kept telling me off, so I just let rip, and thanks to Paul we can all be grown up over here (maybe some of us can be a little immature at times, hey ho let's also have some fun), and again say what we like (within reason).
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
TOO GOOD!

WHAT A GREAT EXAMPLE TO US ALL!!
Old 7th July 2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
we are all adults and within reason should be able to say what we like...and thanks to Paul we can all be grown up over here (maybe some of us can be a little immature at times, hey ho let's also have some fun), and again say what we like (within reason).
Hear! Hear!

It was our pleasure to meet Paul in Cape Town earlier this year and thank him personally for his efforts with this Forum.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:53 AM
Boat: 26 ft Heavenly Twin - TWO MINDS

I have a question for our American members on the forum. This comes from comments by an American friend who sails monos, but knows a bit about cats.

His theory is that sailing conditions on the east side of USA are generally fairly benign. Seas of 4ft are considered quite large. So people want their 'cruising cats' powered up with larger rigs so as to enjoy the stability and the easy sailing. Hence the current trend for ever bigger rigs, and boats that are more 'cruiser/racer' in concept.

When these over rigged cats are used on parts of the west coast they find conditions are much rougher. Then they get shown up as being more prone to trouble, including capsizing, than properly rigged cats.

Is this a general view?

Do you think he has a good point?

If so, it has relevance to people buying on the used boat market. If it was an east coast cat, be careful what you buy. Or something like that.

True/false

Mike
Old 7th July 2010, 12:11 PM
Boat: Privilege 37
Knowledgable Forum Member

The 10m Catalac was produced originally with an optional additional 3 ft on the mast for boats destined for more benign conditions.

British built cats (Catalacs and prouts in particular) were built with small sail plans so that they were safer in bad conditions. Tom Lack offered a substantial sum of money for the first person to be able to prove that they had flown a hull in a Catalac.

Of course the downside of this is that light winds meant turning on the engines.
Old 7th July 2010, 02:28 PM
Boat: PDQ32 & FP Orana

The early PDQ32 models were built with a 45 foot mast height. Later models were changed to 49 ft. mast to improve light air performance.
The boat is fairly light and will sail in the double digits when wind speeds get up over 15 knots. As with any smaller boat performance is affected more by sea / wave conditions.
Old 7th July 2010, 07:52 PM
Boat: holding
Brit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
I have a question for our American members on the forum. This comes from comments by an American friend who sails monos, but knows a bit about cats.

His theory is that sailing conditions on the east side of USA are generally fairly benign. Seas of 4ft are considered quite large. So people want their 'cruising cats' powered up with larger rigs so as to enjoy the stability and the easy sailing. Hence the current trend for ever bigger rigs, and boats that are more 'cruiser/racer' in concept.

True/false

Mike
Could be some validity to this. There are certainly more places to duck into on the east coast to get out of the ocean if you need to and those brought up sailing the Chesapeake Bay are use to mostly shorter waves (but they tend to be steeper, which is probably worse for a cat to get sideways with). There are some pretty nasty places also (Cape Hatteras etc.), but with the right stick height it is easy to do the ICW and avoid most of these.
I think a large part of the issue is that a lot of people get a cat and expect to see double digit speeds all the time so they order the biggest sail plan available for a boat or start adding flat top mains and code zero's that the boat and/or rig was not designed for and end up pushing the boat closer to the edge than they realize.
Same old same old..... without the feedback from heeling over some don't adjust to the boat fast enough.

John
Old 7th July 2010, 11:38 PM
Boat: 26 ft Heavenly Twin - TWO MINDS

JKD that's interesting, - thank-you.

Might it have any relevance to the west coast capsize do you think?

Mike
Old 7th July 2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post
end up pushing the boat closer to the edge than they realize.
Same old same old..... without the feedback from heeling over some don't adjust to the boat fast enough.
Well (and succintly) put jkd!

dmmbruce...the above would pretty well cover most any wind-induced capsize...and wave-induced capsize would be a combination of the above and gaps in the skill set of the crew on board to respond appropriately to the conditions
Old 8th July 2010, 01:45 AM
Boat: seeking cat to live aboard
First Lady of America

I'm not sure it was a capsize at all. The newspaper report which Zero to Cruising published on his blog mentioned that the winds were 45 knots. It's possible that the boat ended upside down because of pitchpoling, rather than capsize. Reporters don't know the difference, and often things happen so fast that sailors can't tell, either! There is no mention of the use of a drogue or any other drag device to slow the boat. They did mention trying to reduce sail.