Multihulls4us Forums  

Go Back   Multihulls4us Forums > Multihull Videos Forum

Multihull Videos Forum This forum is for posting and discussing videos. Anyone can post a video - if you require help just ask on this forum.

Old 16th October 2010, 12:13 PM
Boat: FP "Maldives" 32

Default Sailing my "Maldives" in Turkey

BORKED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHbBdyRM40
Old 16th October 2010, 10:29 PM
Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Default Re: Sailing my "Maldives" in Turkey

miki,

Thank you for sharing; you are obviously enjoying and are proud of your boat! I don't know why, but the Fountaine Pajot Maldives never seems to come up as an option when discussions of options for small catamaran purchases comes up.

I know the boat began production in the late 1980s but do not know how many were produced.

Perhaps you could post any details you might have about the boat and a picture gallery so forum users might become better acquainted with the FP Maldives as a possible alternative in a used catamaran.

Marshall
Old 19th October 2010, 01:21 AM
Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Default Fountaine Pajot production numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenitysail View Post
miki,

...I don't know why, but the Fountaine Pajot Maldives never seems to come up as an option when discussions of options for small catamaran purchases comes up.

I know the boat began production in the late 1980s but do not know how many were produced...

Marshall
Hello all,

I actually answered my own question--I found the link to all Fountaine Pajot production history as of 01-January-2010. The chart on the FP web site includes Year Launched, Model, Production as of January 2010, and if the model is still being produced.

This might be valuable information to forum members searching for a used FP catamaran. I'll paste the link below.

Interestingly, the FP Maldives 32 began production in 1988 and FP produced 100 of them--more than the Tobago 35! (95 T35s were produced)

http://fountaine-pajot.com/en_entreprise_leader.php

Hope this might be of use to someone.

Marshall
Old 20th October 2010, 06:32 PM
Boat: FP Tobago 35

Tha Maldives is a better performer than the other FP cats (relatively speaking) Apparently they suddenly stopped production after one flipped due to operator error, because they were afraid that it would create a negative reputation just at the time that cats were really going into the charter fleets in the early 90's.

Miki, is your boat extended and with inboard diesels?

Alan
Old 21st October 2010, 01:05 AM
Boat: seeking cat to live aboard
First Lady of America

What BEAUTIFUL pictures! That water is lovely, and so is the boat. I was thinking in that section wih the boat at anchor that I would be happy to never bother to step ashore if I could just get into that water and back onto that boat! Enjoy!
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:21 PM

Hi There

Well the boat an early 1988 model is extended via the bowsprit I fitted which is not standard. The jib is quite small so in light airs the screecher enables us to keep sailing. I use a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke and in a flat calm get close to 7 knots. It sits on a sled arrangement between the hulls.

Of course I'm bias but it's a cracking boat sails really well. It accelerates easily with a gust and care is needed. Tacks fast and easy too. I'm forever trying to keep her light but still seem to have masses of gear onboard including 2 fridges.

I love the pop top which is great at anchor and opens up the cabin. Who needs aircon?

Cheers Miki
Old 23rd October 2010, 02:40 AM
Boat: holding
Brit Basher

Miki,

Thank you for sharing those with us. The stills are great, reminds me of mountain lakes rather than salt water with the rocks etc. We have some very nice clear water here in (some parts of) Florida and the Bahamas but not much in the way of rocks, just sand.

John
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:58 AM
Boat: FP Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Default Detail pics of your bowsprit installation

Miki,

Fantastic video. Is there any chance you could post some detail photos of your bowsprit installation? I have a 1990 Antigua that I would like to fit a bowsprit on. I would love to hear any suggestions or lessons learned you have from your installation.

Best regards,

Chris
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:13 PM

Hi Chris,
I've posted photos under "Any other equipement" section.
I cut down part of an old damaged spinnaker pole and pop riveted to a Harken end pole bell socket. This enables me to quickly easily detach bowsprit and bring aboard. Usually if we are going bows in to a marina slot and don't want to spike the quay or people! Also not to be charged for extra length, (which roughly is about a meter and half).
The base is from 8 mil (aprox) ali plate. I cut out rectangular base and curved it to suit cross beam. Then cut out the ears/lugs and got them welded on to base plate. Then pop riveted with 6 rivets plate to crossbeam. It works a treat there is nothing I would change.
Hope this helps
Miki
Old 4th November 2010, 02:16 PM
Boat: FP Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Miki,

Thanks for posting the additional pictures. Very nice install. I also like the idea of being able to quickly remove the bowsprit when desired.

Chris